Michelle Knight, one of the three Cleveland women kidnapped and held captive for about a decade, has been discharged from the hospital where she had been receiving care.
In a statement emailed to reporters Friday, MetroHealth Medical Center said Knight had left the hospital and was asking for privacy.
“Michelle Knight is in good spirits and would like the community to know that she is extremely grateful for the outpouring of flowers and gifts. She is especially thankful for the Cleveland Courage Fund. She asks that everyone please continue to respect her privacy at this time,” the hospital said.
PHOTOS: Kidnapping victims found
Knight, 32, disappeared in 2002. She was held in a house at 2207 Seymour Ave. with two other women -- Amanda Berry, 27, and Gina DeJeus, now about 23. All were abused and assaulted during their captivity.
Berry led the escape of the three women by breaking through a screen door Monday and, with the help of neighbors, called the police. All three women were taken to MetroHealth, where they were examined and released Tuesday morning.
Berry and DeJeus returned home to joyous neighbors and relatives, but Knight was readmitted to the hospital. A spokeswoman for the hospital wouldn’t discuss the details of Knight’s treatment or where she went after being released.
Ariel Castro, 52, a former school bus driver, is being held in lieu of $8-million bail on four counts of kidnapping and three counts of rape in connection with the case. Prosecutors announced Thursday that they will pursue more charges, some of which carry the death penalty, when they present the matter to a grand jury in Cuyahoga County.
Knight has told police that during her captivity she endured five miscarriages caused by Castro allegedly beating her, according to local and national media reports. Prosecutors said that could be aggravated murder, which is a capital crime under Ohio law.
In addition to the three women, a 6-year-old child was freed from the house. The girl is the daughter of Amanda Berry and the father is Castro, according to DNA test results released Friday by Ohio officials.
Cleveland suspect Ariel Castro: A troubling portrait emerges
Ariel Castro could face death penalty, Cleveland prosecutor says
Shock hits home for families of Cleveland suspect and his victims