Advertisement
 
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsRobbery

Kendrec McDade's father files new allegation against Pasadena police

May 14, 2013|By Joe Piasecki
  • Anya Slaughter, left, and Kenneth McDade, parents of Kendrec McDade, speak to reporters in 2012, accompanied by attorney Caree Harper.
Anya Slaughter, left, and Kenneth McDade, parents of Kendrec McDade, speak… (Irfan Khan / Los Angeles…)

The father of Kendrec McDade, an unarmed teen robbery suspect who was shot and killed last year by Pasadena police, has filed a claim alleging he was roughed up by officers during a recent search of his home.

Pasadena Police Lt. Tracey Ibarra said the department has launched an internal affairs investigation into the claim filed on behalf of Kenneth McDade by his attorney, Caree Harper, on April 30.

McDade, who is seeking $10,000 in compensation, contends the incident was in retaliation for a federal civil-rights lawsuit he filed over the death of his 19-year-old son, who was shot and killed by police officers responding to a robbery call.

The most recent claim alleges that detectives used “unnecessary and excessive force” to detain Kenneth McDade at his home on the afternoon of April 26 during a stolen-property investigation. As a result, he allegedly suffered bruised wrists and a sprained shoulder.

According to the claim, at least one detective used a wristlock against Kenneth McDade and slammed him against a car parked in his driveway. He also accuses detectives of using foul and intimidating language during questioning.

Ibarra said an internal affairs probe of the incident ordered immediately by Pasadena Police Chief Phil Sanchez remains ongoing.

During an investigation into possible criminal stolen property at the house, Ibarra said officers recovered “a very expensive bike” and have since made contact with a second party of interest.

If city officials deny the claim, a lawsuit could be filed, broadening the scope of legal action taken since the death of Kendrec McDade, who was shot during a police pursuit on March 24, 2012, as officers responded to a report of armed men fleeing the scene of a robbery on Orange Grove Boulevard.

Investigators with the Los Angeles County district attorney’s Justice System Integrity Division ruled in December that the officers acted lawfully.

A 911 caller who told dispatchers that assailants had threatened him with guns later admitted to lying about the weapons in order to generate a faster police response. That man now faces misdemeanor charges related to making a false report that carry possible jail time of up to 18 months.

According to county investigators, Kendrec McDade was clutching his waistband as he charged toward police, but was later found to be carrying a cellphone.

ALSO:

Jackson used vocal aid in concerts, choreographer says

Kern County sheriff defends seizure of videos of fatal beating 

Bear who surprised swimmers in La Cañada Flintridge to be relocated

Twitter: @JoePiasecki

joe.piasecki@latimes.com

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|