YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

Desperation grows among Philippine survivors of Typhoon Haiyan

Filipinos in devastated Tacloban try to rush military planes to evacuate, and relief crews struggle to get aid through the debris.

November 12, 2013|By Sunshine de Leon and Barbara Demick
  • Philippine police guard a truck carrying relief supplies in Tacloban, the hardest-hit major city in the path of Typhoon Haiyan.
Philippine police guard a truck carrying relief supplies in Tacloban,… (Dennis M. Sabangan / European…)

MANILA — Drenched by rain and increasingly desperate, typhoon-stricken Filipinos rushed fences and pleaded with guards Tuesday at the battered airport serving as a tenuous lifeline to an international aid effort confronted at every turn by transport and logistics bottlenecks.

The United Nations launched an appeal for $301 million to help victims. The chief of its humanitarian operations, Valerie Amos, arrived in Manila, the capital, to coordinate the relief effort and quickly acknowledged the difficulties it faced.

"We have not been able to get into the remote areas," Amos said. Even in Tacloban, she said, the main city in the typhoon's path and the site of the airport, "because of the debris and the difficulties with logistics and so on, we have not been able to get in the level of supply that we would want to."

PHOTOS: Typhoon Haiyan slams Philippines

 In its appeal for funds, the U.N. estimated that more than 11 million people had been affected by Typhoon Haiyan, one of the strongest storms ever to hit land, with 660,000 left homeless. The official death toll was nearly 1,800, and that figure is expected to rise substantially. More than 2,500 were injured.

Philippine President Benigno Aquino III downplayed widespread estimates that 10,000 or more people might have died, telling CNN that the figure was more likely 2,000 to 2,500 people.

The higher estimate came from local officials soon after the storm swept through early Friday, and may have been the result of "emotional trauma," Aquino said.

Still, it's clear that relief workers have not yet reached many outlying communities, and that it's proving difficult to move supplies from airfields and ports even into the main cities.

Tacloban's airport is the only major airfield on the hard-hit island of Leyte. Aid workers say the road from the airport into the city is so clogged with debris and the putrefying remains of the dead that the trip takes three hours. Roads leading inland are impassable.

Amos said money was needed for "food, health, sanitation, shelter, debris removal and also protection of the most vulnerable."

Before her arrival, the U.N. released $25 million in emergency funds. Other governments, including the United States, Britain, the United Arab Emirates, Japan, Australia and South Korea, pledged tens of millions more. Filipinos working overseas, who account for about 10% of the Philippine population, were also organizing efforts to send money and aid.

U.S. and British warships were moving into position off the Philippine coast to help with the relief effort. In addition to the aircraft carrier George Washington, Marine Brig. Gen. Paul Kennedy, head of the U.S. military relief effort, said he needed Navy amphibious ships to help deliver supplies.

Marines based in Okinawa were dispatched along with sailors and have begun to deliver aid.

The White House said President Obama spoke with Aquino by telephone Tuesday and that the United States would deliver "whatever help we can, as quickly as possible."

Katherine Manik, country director for ChildFund International, said a relief crew was able to reach the city of Ormoc on the other side of Leyte by boat, but couldn't move far from the dock.

"There is a critical need for fresh drinking water and food, but it is very difficult to get anything in. There aren't enough boats. There is no electricity," she said.

Even at the makeshift clinic next to the Tacloban airport, to which the Philippine air force's C-130 cargo planes have been making regular runs from Manila, aid workers said they had no medicine to treat emergency cases.

Among the many risks, medical workers say, are tetanus infections as people try to salvage items from their homes or build shelters. But there is no tetanus vaccine available, Capt. Antonio Tamayo of the Philippine air force told the Inquirer Daily News.

One difficulty is that the local government infrastructure has disappeared. Tacloban Mayor Alfred Romualdez told reporters that of 1,300 police officers, only 100 were coming to work.

Telephones are not working and local radio is out. One radio anchorman in Tacloban who stayed on the air during the storm using generators was presumed to have drowned. No one has heard from him since the program abruptly went off the air.

Although there were warnings for days about the typhoon and hundreds of thousands of people took heed and evacuated, many others didn't. The Philippines suffers frequent tropical storms, and some residents apparently thought they could survive this one as well.

Warner Passanisi, global emergency response coordinator at ChildFund, said the storm made landfall nine times at different locations in the archipelago nation. "You had not just the wind, but the tidal surges and the swelling of water," he said.

Los Angeles Times Articles