Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

70 people treated after sulfuric acid fumes leak in Carson

November 19, 2013|By Joseph Serna and Robert J. Lopez

About 70 people in Carson were treated for exposure to fumes from sulfuric acid after a machine malfunctioned and leaked the chemical Monday night, the Los Angeles County Fire Department said.

Initial reports indicated that about two dozen workers at a business in the 21000 block of South Maciel Avenue were exposed to the fumes, which can irritate the eyes, nose, skin and lungs. However, the number soon swelled to 70 patients, with 13 of them requiring a trip to the hospital, said L.A. County Supervising Dispatcher Robert Diaz.

Most of the patients worked in the business where the machine malfunctioned, he said. The equipment that malfunctioned was some type of cleaning device.

Some workers at neighboring businesses also complained of symptoms from the gas, Diaz said. The fumes eventually dissipated, and firefighters cleared the scene about midnight.

No serious injuries were reported.

ALSO:

15-year-old forced into prostitution, Oxnard police say

Man, child shot in possible gang-related attack in Long Beach

About 25 treated in Carson after complaining of noxious odors

joseph.serna@latimes.com

Twitter: @josephserna

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|