Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

Victor Ortiz expected to face Carlos Molina for a Dec. 14 title shot

October 14, 2013|By Lance Pugmire
  • Victor Ortiz will return to the ring in December.
Victor Ortiz will return to the ring in December. (Mark Ralston / AFP/Getty…)

Victor Ortiz, with his broken jaw and “Dancing With the Stars” appearance behind him, is finalizing a deal to return to the ring Dec. 14 in a world junior-middleweight title fight vs. Chicago’s champion Carlos Molina.

Richard Schaefer, chief executive of Golden Boy Promotions, said Monday he is in the final stages of placing Ortiz-Molina on a card at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas that will be headlined by Adrien Broner-Marcos Maidana for the World Boxing Assn. welterweight title.

Ventura’s 26-year-old Ortiz (29-4-2, 22 KOs) hasn’t fought since suffering a broken jaw and quitting in his corner in a June 23, 2012, loss to Riverside’s Josesito Lopez.

Ortiz, who previously was knocked out by Floyd Mayweather Jr. in September 2011, appeared on ABC’s reality dancing show earlier this year, meeting Stevie Wonder as part of his experience.

He told The Times while blogging about the experience that he was “really excited to get back in the ring and become world champ again! I want to have the entire Season 16 cast ringside at my next fight!”

Molina (22-5-2, six KOs) became International Boxing Federation light-middleweight champion Sept. 14, beating Ishe Smith by split decision on the Mayweather-“Canelo” Alvarez undercard.

Cincinnati’s Broner (27-0, 22 KOs) won his belt with a split-decision triumph over Paulie Malignaggi in June.

Argentina’s Maidana (34-3, 31 KOs) earned his title shot with a sixth-round technical knockout of Josesito Lopez two weeks earlier at StubHub Center in Carson.  

Schaefer and the manager of former world featherweight champion Abner Mares of Hawaiian Gardens originally made an effort to put Mares’ rematch with Jhonny Gonzalez on the Broner-Maidana card.

But Mares has decided to wait for a return to the ring until 2014 after his first-round knockout loss to Gonzalez in August, and Schaefer said he has to “work out some issues with Gonzalez about his rematch option,” before making that bout.

The promoter last week finalized two other shows: Malignaggi-Zab Judah at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn on Dec. 7 in a card that will include a good 154-pound match between Austin Trout and Erislandy Lara; and a Nov. 30 card in San Antonio headlined by Devon Alexander’s welterweight title defense against Shawn Porter.

Los Angeles’ Leo Santa Cruz (25-0-1, 15 KOs) will also make the first defense of his World Boxing Council super-bantamweight belt in San Antonio against Puerto Rico’s Cesar Seda (25-1, 17 KOs).

ALSO:

Peyton Manning dodges talk of return to Indianapolis

Dwayne Harris returns Cowboys to winning ways over Redskins

Loudest stadium: Chiefs crowd bumps Seattle fans out of record books

lance.pugmire@latimes.com

Twitter: @latimespugmire

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|