Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

LAX dry-ice bombs: Second suspect was supervisor of first suspect

October 19, 2013|By Richard Winton | This post has been updated. See the note below for details.
  • Security was normal at the Tom Bradley International Terminal at Los Angeles International Airport on Tuesday after a bottle with dry ice exploded there.
Security was normal at the Tom Bradley International Terminal at Los Angeles… (Al Seib / Los Angeles Times )

A second LAX worker in custody in connection with dry-ice bomb incidents was the supervisor of the first suspect arrested, police say.

Miguel Angel Iniguez, 41, a ground services supervisor, was arrested Friday on suspicion of possession of a destructive device, said Cmdr. Andrew Smith of the Los Angeles Police Department.

His arrest occurred at LAX, where he is employed by Servisair, an aviation ground services company.

Iniguez supervises Dicarlo Bennett, who was arrested earlier this week and charged in connection with two dry-ice bombs that exploded in Terminal 2 and a tarmac area at Tom Bradley International Terminal.

Iniguez, of Inglewood, was being held on $500,000 bail.

Authorities allege that Bennett, who also worked for Servisair, placed two dry-ice bombs in employee-only areas Sunday.

Sources said Bennett acknowledged being responsible for two of the devices.

The second device, along with a third dry-ice bomb that did not detonate, was not reported until Monday, Los Angeles police said.

No injuries were reported in the incidents.

The devices drew the bomb squad to the airport two days in a row, delaying some flights Sunday and prompting increased security.

Police officials said there was no link to terrorism and that Bennett's intentions were his own amusement.

"He was a prankster," Deputy Chief Michael Downing said. "He thought it was funny." Downing added, "There is nothing funny about what he did."

Before Bennett's arrest, Police Chief Charlie Beck said the devices were "more of a noise device than a device that causes damage" but that officials were still taking the case seriously.

He said police would push to have anyone who was arrested "vigorously" prosecuted.

"Whether you think this is a harmless prank or a way to disrupt operations at the airport, it won't matter," Beck said. "You will go to jail."

[For the record, 9:40 a.m.: The second paragraph of this post, which contains the full name of the new suspect, was omitted in a previous version of the article.]

ALSO:

Man sought in Huntington Beach robbery, sexual assault

BART strike: About 400,000 S.F.-area commuters to be affected

Bags stolen at Raging Waters contained L.A. County sheriff's badges

Twitter: @lacrimes| Google+

richard.winton@latimes.com

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|