YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

Second suspect charged in LAX dry-ice bomb case

October 21, 2013|By Kate Mather
  • A Los Angeles Airport police officer and a bomb-sniffing dog walk through Los Angeles International Terminal 2 on Oct. 15, as part of the increased security at the airport following a rash of dry-ice bombs.
A Los Angeles Airport police officer and a bomb-sniffing dog walk through… (Al Seib / Los Angeles Times )

A second suspect -- the supervisor of the first -- was charged Monday in connection with a string of dry-ice bombs left at Los Angeles International Airport, prosecutors said.

Miguel Angel Iniguez, 41, was charged with one felony count of possession of a destructive device near an airplane, the Los Angeles County district attorney's office announced. If convicted as charged, prosecutors said, the Inglewood man faces a maximum of six years of prison.

Iniguez was scheduled to be arraigned Tuesday.

Iniguez was taken into custody Friday while working at LAX. He works for Servisair -- which provides ground services to the airport. He supervised Dicarlo Bennett, the 28-year-old Paramount man who was also arrested in the case.

Authorities allege Bennett placed two dry-ice bombs in employee-only areas at the airport on Oct. 13: one exploded in a Terminal 2 restroom, the other found intact outside the Tom Bradley International Terminal.

Prosecutors allege Iniguez made a third dry-ice device that detonated outside the international terminal.

No injuries were reported in any of the incidents, though the devices drew the LAPD's bomb squad to the airport two days in a row and prompted increased security.

Bennett was arrested Oct. 15. LAPD Deputy Chief Michael Downing said there was no link to terrorism in his alleged acts, instead calling Bennett a "prankster" who "thought it was funny." Bennett pleaded not guilty last week to two counts of possession of a destructive device in a public place.

The investigation into the incidents is ongoing, authorities said.


Giant oarfish carcass found off Catalina to be split for research

O.C. man was to lead Al Qaeda attack in December, feds allege

Cee Lo Green pleads not guilty to putting Molly in woman's drink

Twitter: @katemather | Google+

Los Angeles Times Articles