Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

Nevada middle school shooting: 2 dead, 2 hospitalized, shooter 'neutralized'

October 21, 2013|By Joseph Serna and John M. Glionna

Two people are dead and two are hospitalized following a shooting Monday morning at Sparks Middle School in Nevada, just outside of Reno, according to officials.

The victims were not immediately identified during a press conference, according to the Associated Press.

Police responded to a shooting at Sparks Middle School shortly after 7 a.m. and students were evacuated to a nearby elementary school. Early reports said the shooter had been "neutralized."

The area around Sparks Middle School and a neighboring elementary school were closed to the public except for parents picking up their children.

Police added that the school scene is now "safe," and that the shooter was "neutralized." At a press conference police said the shootings took place on school property.

In a Twitter message, Nevada Gov. Brian Sandoval said that he was "deeply saddened to learn of the horrific shooting at Sparks Middle School this morning."

In another message, he said that "Kathleen and I extend our thoughts and prayers to the victims and those affected by the tragic events at Sparks Middle School this morning."

At the press conference around 9 a.m., police said the shootings took place on school property and "didn't happen in the streets or anything like that."

Authorities also said that they were now moving into investigative mode, focusing on the homicide investigation resulting from the shooting.

ALSO:

Utah men topple ancient rock, prompting investigation

Officials vow more arrests in Florida inmate escape case

Bail set for stepmother of Florida cyber bullying suspect

Follow L.A. Times National on Twitter


Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|