Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

Man accused of making threats to San Gabriel Valley schools

September 17, 2013|By Ruben Vives and Robert J. Lopez
  • Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department patrol cars are shown at Duarte High school, which was locked down last week after a threatening phone call.
Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department patrol cars are shown at… (KTLA-TV Channel 5 )

A 26-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of making phone threats last week against several schools and a hospital in the San Gabriel Valley, authorities said Tuesday evening.

Gerardo Cortez, 26, was taken into custody around 4 p.m Tuesday as he was leaving his Monrovia home, according to the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department. 

Authorities were searching Cortez's home Tuesday evening as his arrest was being announced at a news conference at the Sheriff's Department's  headquarters in Monterey Park.

The threats forced lockdowns at schools in Arcadia, Duarte and Monrovia and disrupted operations at the hospital in Covina, according to authorities.

Authorities said that a caller in some of the phone calls stated said that a person with a gun was near the campuses.

The investigation involved multiple law enforcement agencies.

Agents from the Los Angeles office of the FBI joined the investigation last Thursday as Arcadia High School was locked down and officers were searching the campus.

On Tuesday afternoon, Duarte High School and an intermediate school that shares the same campus were placed on lockdown after a telephone report came in saying there was a person with a gun in the area, authorities said. 

ALSO:

Sheriff's deputy pleads not guilty to sex-with-minor charges

Man arrested on suspicion of DUI after fatal Westminster crash

2 high school football players to be arraigned on sex crime charge

Twitter: @LAJourno

robert.lopez@latimes.com

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|