YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

Shooting at Ft. Hood; everyone at base ordered to shelter in place

April 02, 2014|Times Staff and Wire Reports | This post has been updated.
  • The entrance to Ft. Hood in Texas.
The entrance to Ft. Hood in Texas. (Greg Sharkey / Associated…)

Foot Hood officials said they have received an initial report that a shooter at the base is dead, but the information is unconfirmed, the statement said. 

Fort Hood's Directorate of Emergency Services also said that injured personnel are being transported to Carl R. Darnall Medical Center and other local hospitals. Numerous law enforcement agencies are in support and on the scene.

The number of injured are not confirmed at this time, the statement said. No further details were released.

A spokesperson for Darnall told the Times that victims were being treated there, but declined to describe their injuries or the number of patients.   

 Fort Hood remains on lockdown and everyone at the Texas Army base is to "shelter in place."

The first orders were sent Wednesday on the base's Twitter feed and posted on its Facebook page.

Related: Injuries reported after Ft. Hood shooting

The 1st Cavalry Division, which is based at Fort Hood, sent a Twitter alert telling people on base to close doors and stay away from windows.

A spokeswoman for the base declined to comment. A spokesman for the local sheriff's office did not immediately have information on the incident.

In 2009, the sprawling Army base in central Texas was the site of the deadliest mass shooting on a military base in the U.S. Thirteen people were kiled and more than 30 wounded. 

Last August, Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan, an Army psychiatrist, was convicted of 13 counts of premeditated murder and 32 counts of attempted premeditated murder in connection with the attack on Nov. 5, 2009. The same military jury deliberated for less than two hours before sentencing him to death.

Prosecutors said that Hasan, a Muslim, was motivated by a "jihad duty" to kill soldiers. Hasan, who acted as his own attorney, rarely challenged prosecutors, admitting to the shooting at trial. In his opening arguments, he contended that his religious beliefs led him to switch sides and attack fellow soldiers to save fellow Muslims.

Hasan carried out his rampage in a center in which soldiers preparing for combat deployments were being processed. Witnesses testified that he shouted “God is great” in Arabic before opening fire. 

The Associated Press contributed to this report. 

Follow L.A. Times National News on Facebook


Booted frequent flier gets no relief from Supreme Court

Washington landslide death toll rises to 29 as search continues

Prosecutors show bloody shoe at Texas stiletto heel murder trial

Los Angeles Times Articles