YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections

Standoff in Hawaiian Gardens ends peacefully; suspect in custody

April 05, 2014|By Christine Mai-Duc
  • Map shows the intersection of Norwalk Boulevard and Carson Street in Hawaiian Gardens.
Map shows the intersection of Norwalk Boulevard and Carson Street in Hawaiian… (Los Angeles Times )

An hours-long armed standoff ended peacefully Saturday afternoon after a man who was suspected of shooting the mother of his children surrendered to authorities, the L.A. County Sheriff’s Department said.

The standoff began shortly before 9 a.m. after a police pursuit of the man ended in a strip mall near the intersection of Norwalk Boulevard and Carson Street in Hawaiian Gardens, authorities said.

The man then barricaded himself in his white Dodge truck, refusing to surrender to authorities.

The incident prompted police to block large sections of Carson Street and Norwalk Boulevard and close some businesses as deputies set up a mobile command center in a nearby Food 4 Less supermarket, and SWAT teams and negotiators responded to the scene.

It also delayed a 50th anniversary parade for the city of Hawaiian Gardens, which was planned for 11 a.m. and was supposed to run down many sections of the street that remained closed for the standoff.

The man was wanted in connection with an early morning shooting in Eastvale, about four miles north of Corona in Riverside County, said Armando Munoz, a spokesman for the Riverside County Sheriff’s Department.

Authorities say that about 12:30 a.m. Saturday, the man shot the mother of his children at least six times and then took her to a hospital. The woman, who has two children with the man, was treated for her injuries and is expected to survive, Munoz said. The children did not witness the shooting and are safe, he said.

Riverside County authorities broadcast his vehicle and description, and two sheriff’s deputies from the Lakewood station later spotted the man on the road, Deputy Amber Smith said.

Smith said the man is being examined at a local hospital for minor injuries and will then be turned over to Riverside County sheriff’s deputies, who are handling the investigation.

Local streets and businesses are expected to be reopened shortly.


Body found stuffed inside suitcase in Glendale is identified

Los Angeles Police Chief Charlie Beck says he wants a second term

Deadly L.A.-area meningitis outbreak raises concerns in gay community

Twitter: @cmaiduc

Los Angeles Times Articles