Advertisement

Report: Jonathan Martin contemplated suicide twice in 2013

February 14, 2014|By Sam Farmer

Miami Dolphins tackle Jonathan Martin contemplated suicide twice in 2013, according to the report released Friday by independent investigator Ted Wells.

The Wells report, in the works since November, identifies Dolphins offensive linemen Richie Incognito, John Jerry and Mike Pouncey as the perpetrators of systematic harassment and bullying of Martin and others.

The report said Martin developed “an odd but seemingly close” friendship with Incognito, and participated in off-color jokes to fit in. According to a psychologist retained by Wells, such behavior “is consistent with the behavior of a victim of abusive treatment.”

Martin walked away from the Dolphins midway through the season, and Incognito was subsequently suspended for three months.

In gathering information for his report, Wells conducted more than 100 interviews, including ones with every then-Dolphins player and coach, and team owner Stephen Ross. Wells also reviewed thousands of text messages between Martin and Incognito.

The 6-foot-5, 312-pound Martin told investigators that he had been bullied in junior high school and high school.

ALSO:

Richie Incognito tweets blasts Jonathan Martin

Jets' Nick Folk wants to increase the value of NFL kickers

Michael Sam's father says his critical comments of son were 'twisted'

Advertisement
Los Angeles Times Articles
|
|
|