Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollections911 Emergency Telephone System
IN THE NEWS

911 Emergency Telephone System

CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
October 13, 1989 | BETTINA BOXALL, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Last week a teen-ager stepped out of a red car in front of the Rev. Leo Nieto's Long Beach home and asked the youngsters playing in the yard where they were from. He didn't like their answer, so he pulled a pistol from his pocket, fired six shots into the yard and sped off with two other teen-agers. The bullets missed their targets and the five youngsters ran screaming to their homes.
Advertisement
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
July 2, 1995 | ERIC SLATER, TIMES STAFF WRITER
A cool-headed 911 dispatcher calmly explained to a frantic mother how to perform mouth-to-mouth resuscitation Saturday, helping the woman save the life of her 1-month-old baby, who had stopped breathing, Los Angeles Fire Department officials said. The mother dialed 911 just after noon and told firefighter-dispatcher Julio Maldonado that her son suffered from apnea and had stopped breathing.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
March 13, 1991 | JOHN KENDALL and TINA ANIMA, TIMES STAFF WRITERS
Selection of jurors for the trial of Raymond Navarro on multiple murder charges was about to begin in Los Angeles Superior Court on Tuesday when the 27-year-old defendant surprised the prosecution by pleading guilty to all counts.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
August 6, 1999 | ROBERTO J. MANZANO, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Firefighters cut an 8-square-foot hole in the bedroom wall of a North Hollywood apartment Thursday morning to rescue a former Los Angeles radio personality, thought to weigh more than 600 pounds, who was having trouble breathing. Responding to a 911 call about 7 a.m. from the victim, 30 firefighters from the department's heavy rescue team worked for two hours to extricate John Swaney, 57, from his apartment. Firefighters also removed patio railings and sliding glass doors to reach him.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
November 16, 1999 | CAITLIN LIU
Donning hard hats, Los Angeles city and law enforcement officials symbolically broke ground Monday for the new 911 emergency dispatch center being built at 23001 Roscoe Blvd. "Today we come one step closer in making Los Angeles the safest city in America," Mayor Richard Riordan said at the ceremony on the construction site.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
May 6, 1998 | JOE MOZINGO, SPECIAL TO THE TIMES
In a calm and lucid voice, the 40-year-old Long Beach man who killed himself on live television last week told a 911 dispatcher that he was unhappy with his "situation" and was "going to draw attention to it whichever way" he could, according to a tape of two emergency calls he made within an hour of his death. "My paramount goal is for no one other than myself to get hurt," Daniel V. Jones said on the tape, an edited version of which was released Tuesday by the California Highway Patrol.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
January 10, 1996 | JODI WILGOREN, TIMES STAFF WRITER
A man whose wife and three youngest children died in a house fire a year ago while emergency personnel responded to the wrong address sued the city of Los Angeles and its police and fire departments on Tuesday. Filed on behalf of Lawrence A. Middleton, the suit alleges that "a succession of reckless, grossly negligent and negligent conduct" led to the deaths of 36-year-old Beverly M. Middleton and the children--ages 11 months, 2 and 3--in Southwest Los Angeles on Jan. 30, 1995.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
March 19, 1997 | JODI WILGOREN, TIMES STAFF WRITER
A Los Angeles City Council panel Tuesday approved a $1.5-million settlement in a lawsuit stemming from a 1995 fire in which a woman and three of her children died while a 911 operator sent emergency crews to the wrong address. The full council is scheduled to vote today on the settlement, which would place more than $900,000 in a life insurance annuity for the woman's five surviving children, ages 8 to 16, and give $600,000 to her husband and the family's lawyers.
NEWS
November 29, 1994 | From Associated Press
Officials in this city will move to fire three 911 operators and will discipline four others for mishandling calls from residents on the night a teen-ager was beaten to death on the steps of a church, the mayor said Monday. Transcripts of the 911 calls made Nov. 11, the day 16-year-old Eddie Polec was beaten, show operators grew impatient with some callers and waited about 40 minutes after the first of 20 calls to send police. Police responded within five minutes. Mayor Edward G.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
January 3, 1990
A teen-ager pleaded guilty Tuesday to charges he used his home computer to make telephone bomb threats to a school and a restaurant and to tie up the phone lines of two law enforcement agencies. The 17-year-old high school student from San Gabriel pleaded guilty in Pasadena Juvenile Court to two felony counts of making a false bomb report and one felony count of obtaining telephone services by fraud. Deputy Dist. Atty.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|