Advertisement
 
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsAbc Television Network
IN THE NEWS

Abc Television Network

ENTERTAINMENT
November 22, 2008 | Maria Elena Fernandez
Soon, the TV world will not have Ned the Pie Maker or the dysfunctional Darlings or Eli Stone/George Michael. ABC President of Entertainment Steve McPherson broke the news Thursday afternoon that the network was giving up on three sophomore shows, "Pushing Daisies," "Dirty Sexy Money" and "Eli Stone. " Although McPherson never uttered the words "You're canceled" to producers, the message was clear to the cast and crews: They had been dumped. The network is not ordering more episodes of the three series, though it will complete production and air all produced episodes of each.
Advertisement
BUSINESS
October 29, 2008 | Meg James, James is a Times staff writer.
Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama's half-hour campaign commercial is scheduled to run tonight on all of the major television networks -- except ABC. The senator from Illinois this month arranged to buy tonight's 8 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. slot on CBS, NBC and Spanish-language network Univision. Fox Broadcasting joined the field after Major League Baseball agreed to delay the start time of tonight's World Series game. Walt Disney Co.-owned ABC, however, initially balked at selling its 8 p.m.
BUSINESS
August 11, 2008 | Meg James, Times Staff Writer
This should be a new dawn for "Nightline." Instead, it could be good night. After years of lagging behind dueling late-night talk shows, the ABC news program is winning attention with a series of high-profile scoops and closing the viewer gap against "Late Show With David Letterman." But instead of celebrating, "Nightline" staffers are anxious. Six years ago, Walt Disney Co. tried to lure Letterman to its ABC network, a move that backfired and frayed relations with the news division.
ENTERTAINMENT
May 11, 2008 | Jon Caramanica, Special to The Times
Dear ABC, So if the rumors are true -- and when are they not true? -- you'll be doing charity work come fall, taking in the homeless sitcom "Scrubs," which has been rather unceremoniously untethered from its home of seven seasons, NBC. All the trades say the show is back at work, in anticipation of a full-season pickup.
BUSINESS
October 23, 2007 | Meg James
An Orange County man has sued ABC, claiming the network stole his idea for a reality TV show. Landon Duval says in a lawsuit filed Friday in Los Angeles Superior Court that he registered a copyright for a show, including the name "American Inventor," in June 2005. Two months later, the suit says, Duval pitched the idea to an ABC executive but no agreement came out of their meeting. Last year, ABC launched a show called "American Inventor." ABC declined to comment Monday.
ENTERTAINMENT
October 3, 2007 | From City News Service
Thanks to an additional 90 minutes of "Dancing With the Stars," "Grey's Anatomy" and "Desperate Housewives," ABC was the most-watched network during television's premiere week for the first time since 1995, according to figures released Tuesday by Nielsen Media Research. ABC had four of the five most-watched prime-time programs between Sept. 24 and Sunday, and averaged 11.9 million viewers for its prime-time lineup, edging CBS' 11.82 million.
ENTERTAINMENT
July 27, 2007
Reporters had a message this week for the producers of ABC's new comedy "Cavemen": Ugh. Spun off from a celebrated series of commercials for the Geico insurance company, "Cavemen" may have formidable built-in recognition factor for a new series. But at the Television Critics Assn.
NEWS
July 26, 2007 | Martin Miller, Times Staff Writer
AN otherwise perfunctory briefing at the annual summer television press tour Wednesday turned into an impromptu showdown between the clout of newspapers and that of comic books -- with ABC President of Entertainment Stephen McPherson in the middle. A roomful of about 150 television writers and critics from across the country became miffed during the morning's executive session when the network head refused to divulge a major announcement about ABC's hit show "Lost."
ENTERTAINMENT
July 18, 2007 | Matea Gold, Times Staff Writer
If the events of the last two years had unfolded differently, Charles Gibson would already be three weeks into retirement, readying for a trip this fall with his wife to Australia and New Zealand. Instead, the 64-year-old newsman is helming the year's top-rated network evening broadcast, whose steady audience gains have drawn attention from some unexpected quarters. Perhaps the most startling came from Army Gen. David H. Petraeus, the top U.S.
NEWS
June 21, 2007 | From the Associated Press
"Sam I Am" isn't -- anymore. The planned ABC fall comedy starring Christina Applegate has changed its name to "Samantha Be Good" after receiving a cease-and-desist letter from lawyers representing the rights-holder to Dr. Seuss characters, an attorney said. The show stars Applegate as Samantha "Sam" Newly, a woman suffering from amnesia who discovers she wasn't such a nice person.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|