January 19, 1993 |
An outbreak of severe diarrhea and abdominal pain among more than 50 children and adults in western Washington has been traced to a fast-food restaurant chain, state authorities said Monday. About 75% of the people stricken ate at Jack in the Box restaurants, said Dean Owen, spokesman for the state Health Department. He couldn't say how many restaurants were involved.
March 24, 2000 |
Hundreds of patrons and employees of a restaurant here have received shots to prevent hepatitis A infection. Health officials announced this week that a waitress at Mimi's Cafe had been diagnosed with the virus, which is contagious but rarely fatal. Public officials advised patrons who ate during the waitress' shifts to get the shots. Hepatitis A symptoms include chills, high fever, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, fatigue, abdominal pain, dark urine and jaundice.
March 3, 1989 |
AUTUMN CROCUS (Colchicum autumnale): The toxic properties of this flowering bulb--not a true crocus at all, but a lily--have been known since medieval times, and the plant has been used in folk remedies and in witches' potions. Today, the toxic alkaloid colchicine found in the plant is used to combat gout and in treating a kind of cancer, granulocytic leukemia.
December 28, 1998
Nearly 100 million visits (96,545,000 to be exact) were made to American ERs in 1995, the most recent year for which statistics are available. Here are more facts and figures about our emergency room visits: * Average number of visits per 100 people: 36.9 * Most frequent principal reason for visit: stomach and abdominal pain, 5.9 million visits * Number of injury-related visits: 37.2 million * Number of urgent visits: 44.2 million * Type of drug most frequently mentioned: Tylenol, 9.
July 22, 1988 |
PURPLE FOXGLOVE (Digitalis purpurea): Foxglove is the name given to a group of plants belonging the figwort family. The leaves of the purple foxglove contain a powerful poison called digitalis. It can cause loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, slow pulse and irregular heartbeat, diarrhea, abdominal pain, headache, fatigue, drowsiness and convulsions. In rare cases it has been known to cause death in children and animals.
April 29, 2004 |
Some users of the irritable-bowel treatment Zelnorm have suffered diarrhea so serious they require hospitalization, and four have died from an intestinal problem, the government said Wednesday. The Food and Drug Administration emphasized that it had not proved a link between the intestinal condition, called ischemic colitis, and the drug. But the agency ordered that a precaution about the intestinal condition go on Zelnorm's label, along with a larger warning about severe diarrhea.
October 22, 2001 |
The next time your gut goes to pieces after a meal, it may turn out that fruit was the source of all that digestive distress. Doctors have long recognized that lactose intolerance--an ability to digest milk sugar--is responsible for some of the irritable bowel syndrome that plagues about 10% of all Americans.
July 9, 2013 |
It's a very rare thing for a legislator to admit that a law he sponsored hasn't worked out as expected. It's even rarer for him to label it "oppressive" and call for its revision. But that's the case with former California Assemblyman Barry Keene and one of his legislative offspring. The law is the Medical Injury Compensation Reform Act of 1975, or MICRA, which tried to address a malpractice insurance "crisis" - rising premiums threatened to drive doctors out of California or into retirement - by imposing draconian restrictions on patient lawsuits.
November 10, 2011 |
If you're thinking about giving someone one of those building sets made of mini-magnets this holiday season, proceed with caution. The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission has issued a health warning about toys and other products that are made up of or contain small magnets. Those little high-powered mini-magnets can kill children if two or more are swallowed, says the safety alert. If swallowed in multiples, or if a magnet is swallowed along with another metal object, they won't necessarily pass through the body.