February 4, 1997 |
Taco Bell, which last month learned that parent company PepsiCo planned to spin it off as part of a new restaurant company, on Monday said it would hold a competition to choose a new advertising agency. "Bozell Worldwide has been Taco Bell's lead agency of record since mid-1994," said Peter Waller, Taco Bell senior vice president. "During that time, they have done some very good work.
April 22, 1997 |
Cordiant said it will split into three companies in a move to boost sales and increase profitability at its Saatchi & Saatchi and Bates Worldwide advertising agencies. The British advertising and marketing company said shares in Saatchi and Bates will trade separately on the New York Stock Exchange. The companies will jointly own media buying unit Zenith Media.
April 29, 1986 |
Merger mania, already infecting much of the Fortune 500, is spreading to Madison Avenue, where some of the largest advertising agencies have recently been swallowing each other up. The reason, experts say, is to build bigger staffs to better serve huge corporations selling products worldwide. "As clients merge on one side of the table, there is a need for agencies to grow bigger to handle the business--it's simply more efficient," said James D.
July 22, 1989 |
It was the kind of day that many Los Angeles advertising agencies only dream about. Admarketing Inc. on Friday won an estimated $18 million in annual billings by picking up both the Ortho Mattress Inc. and RB Furniture Inc. advertising accounts. Both companies were formerly with the Los Angeles office of the New York firm D'Arcy Masius Benton & Bowles, which had handled them for less than a year. Several investors share ownership of both privately held retailers.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
January 17, 1990
As Batman, television actor Adam West was accustomed to battling such villains as the Penguin and the Joker. But in Burbank Superior Court on Tuesday, West took on a more substantial foe--a group of advertising agencies he alleges stole his characterization. West, who portrayed the caped crusader in the campy 1960s television series, is seeking $900,000 in damages from the agencies for producing a television commercial featuring another actor as Batman.
November 18, 1985 |
After a six-week review of agencies vying for a piece of its multimillion-dollar advertising business, Los Angeles-based Atlantic Richfield Co. has awarded the prize to Kresser, Craig/Dik of Los Angeles. It was only the third time since 1970 that Arco has switched its advertising agency, said Edward G. Reilly, Arco senior vice president of marketing.
November 19, 1988 |
Burger King Corp., plagued by lackluster sales and corporate turmoil, turned up the flame on its advertising agency Friday and placed its $200-million ad business up for grabs. For the second time in 13 months, Burger King said it wants to review advertising agencies, although it stopped short of saying it had fired New York ad firm N W Ayer. Officials did, however, state--in no uncertain terms--that they are unhappy with Ayer's work, which includes the "We do it like you'd do it" ad campaign.
February 10, 1990 |
Carnation, one of the West Coast's largest packaged-goods companies, has decided to repackage its advertising. The company said Friday that it will consolidate much of its advertising with several advertising agencies owned by the giant New York holding company, Interpublic Group. In Los Angeles, an account valued at $12 million to $15 million will go from Ogilvy & Mather to McCann-Erickson/Los Angeles.
April 6, 1988 |
RJR Nabisco fired one of its longtime advertising agencies Tuesday, and a source familiar with the decision said the tobacco and foods giant was offended by a no-smoking ad that the agency recently made for Northwest Airlines. The agency, Saatchi & Saatchi DFS Inc., is the successor to agencies that have been making ads for Nabisco cookies for 12 years and for Life Savers candy for 18 years.
October 19, 1989 |
Don't look for Joe Isuzu to be fibbing in French any time soon. But a big chunk of the British-owned ad agency whose U.S. division created one of the ad world's best-known liars was purchased Wednesday by a giant French advertising conglomerate for $68.6 million. Eurocom SA, one of the biggest advertising agencies in France, purchased a 40% interest in WCRS Group's worldwide advertising network. It previously owned 20% of WCRS, bringing its majority ownership of the company to a total of 60%.