Advertisement
 
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsAlcohol Poisoning
IN THE NEWS

Alcohol Poisoning

OPINION
January 18, 2010 | By Caroline Cook
My town, the sleepy Bay Area suburb of Orinda, isn't in the news often. But it made headlines around the state last year after Joe Loudon, a well-loved high school sophomore, died at a party on Memorial Day weekend. I don't know if it's because I had known Joe since kindergarten, or because I write opinion pieces for my school newspaper, or because my mom, a lawyer, is representing the teenage host of the party, who is facing criminal charges, but I can't stop thinking about how to prevent another death like Joe's.
Advertisement
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
April 16, 2009 | Richard Winton
There has been a dramatic upswing in the number of Los Angeles County sheriff's deputies arrested for alcohol-related offenses in recent years, suggesting a growing drinking problem within the department, a county watchdog agency reported Wednesday. Last year, 70 sworn and civilian employees of the Sheriff's Department were arrested.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
January 22, 2009 | Steve Chawkins
Results of an autopsy released Wednesday confirmed that an 18-year-old freshman at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo died of alcohol poisoning after a fraternity party. Carson Starkey of Austin, Texas, had alcohol levels between 0.39% and 0.45% in his blood and other bodily fluids when he died Dec. 2, according to San Luis Obispo police. That concentration is roughly five times the legal limit for presumed intoxication in California. Police said they believe Starkey's death resulted from a hazing by members of the Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity, which he was pledging.
NATIONAL
December 2, 2004 | From Times Wire Reports
Drinking will be banned at University of Oklahoma fraternities and residence halls under a policy announced in Norman, two months after a 19-year-old student died of alcohol poisoning. University of Oklahoma President David Boren said the rules would go into effect Jan. 18 at the start of the new semester. Three violations will end in a student's suspension for a semester.
NEWS
November 28, 2004 | Justin Pope, Associated Press Writer
Colorado State student Samantha Spady had consumed as many as 40 drinks when she was found dead at a fraternity house in September. Lynn Gordon Bailey Jr., Gordie to his friends, had been taken to the mountains near the University of Colorado with fellow Chi Psi fraternity pledges and told not to leave until several bottles of whiskey were finished. At a University of Oklahoma fraternity house, Blake Hammontree had a blood-alcohol content more than five times the legal limit.
NEWS
April 18, 2004 | From Associated Press
The investigation into the liquor deaths of two Ronan children has been closed after failing to produce enough evidence to charge anyone, the Lake County Sheriff's Department said last week. The department investigated suspicions that an adult gave Justin Benoist and Frankie Nicolai III, both 11, the vodka they guzzled. But almost from the time their bodies were found in a Ronan field March 1, there were claims that the boys might have stolen the liquor from area homes.
NEWS
April 11, 2004 | Susan Gallagher, Associated Press Writer
When 11-year-olds Frankie Nicolai III and Justin Benoist turned up dead in a snowy field after guzzling huge amounts of vodka, it fell on Lake County Sheriff Bill Barron to retrieve the boys' frozen bodies. For Barron, the unpleasant task was compounded by a similar incident three months earlier when Justin's older brother, Tyler Benoist, 14, was found drunk and dead in a burned trailer on another part of the Flathead Indian Reservation. Tyler died of smoke inhalation.
NATIONAL
March 3, 2004 | From Times Wire Reports
Two 11-year-old boys whose bodies were found in a snowy field on the Flathead Indian Reservation died after consuming massive amounts of liquor, Lake County Sheriff Bill Barron said. The bodies of Frankie Sonneah Nicolai and Justin Benoist, both of Ronan, were discovered in a field Monday by a friend. Barron said it appeared that both died late Friday or early Saturday, but that they had not been reported missing all weekend. Barron said Frankie, who had a blood-alcohol level of 0.
NEWS
November 3, 2001 | From Times Wire Reports
A top Russian public health official said 27,000 people in the nation have died this year as a result of alcohol poisoning. "That's a whole village full of people, mostly men," said Gennady Onishchenko, first deputy health minister. Onishchenko has warned repeatedly that excessive drinking is on the rise in Russia, and the problem is exacerbated by the poor quality of much of the alcohol. Home-distilled vodka and other spirits remain popular and may contain harmful impurities.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|