CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
September 19, 1988
One searches for almost any ray of hope amid the violence in Central America these days, so it is at least reassuring that Nicaragua's Contra rebels have agreed to resume the peace talks with that country's Sandinista government.
February 8, 1988 |
Contra leaders announced today that they will delay peace talks with Nicaragua's Sandinista government in the wake of congressional rejection of their aid package. Contra Director Alfredo Cesar said neither the rebels nor Roman Catholic Church leaders mediating the negotiations will be able to attend a scheduled Feb. 10 meeting in Guatemala. The delay will be for only "a few days or a couple of weeks," said Cesar, who said the Feb. 10 date had been tentative in any case.
August 21, 1988
In response to "Ortega Shuts Door on Contra Talks," Part I, Aug. 14: Nicaraguan President Daniel Ortega has not shut the door. As one present at the Sapoa cease-fire talks, I would like to review what has taken place. The cease-fire agreement signed at Sapoa, Nicaragua, on March 23 is the key accomplishment of the Central American Peace Accord (Arias Peace Plan). No other Central American country has been able to effect a cease-fire agreement except Nicaragua. Every time the government of Nicaragua makes concessions, the Contras pile on new demands.
April 10, 1988 |
The government of Nicaragua and the Contras are now engaged in the arduous process of fleshing out the details of last month's agreement to end their seven-year-old war. As the negotiations move forward--slowly, as one would expect--the reasoning that probably led the Sandinistas to their most important political and diplomatic victory in years begins to emerge more clearly.
June 8, 1988 |
Nicaraguan rebel leaders Tuesday began what they called a final round of peace talks with the Sandinista government, vowing to seek renewed U.S. military aid if they fail to win satisfactory terms for an armistice. "In three days we will see whether we have guarantees for a permanent peace in Nicaragua or a lack of political will by the Sandinistas to live up to their promises," the chief Contra negotiator, Alfredo Cesar, told reporters.
June 15, 1988 |
The leaders of Nicaragua's Contras asked the Reagan Administration for renewed military aid for their guerrilla army Tuesday, but Secretary of State George P. Shultz and National Security Adviser Colin L. Powell said they could not promise any more money for the war. The Contras met with Shultz and Powell in the hope of winning a commitment from the Administration to fight for more aid in Congress, but officials said that the chances of winning a vote for military aid still appear slim.
June 9, 1988 |
Prospects for a Nicaraguan peace accord appeared to dim Wednesday as Contra negotiators hardened some of their demands and Sandinista policemen detained 15 opposition leaders. The detentions broke up a peaceful anti-Sandinista march in downtown Managua as government and Contra leaders met in a hotel at the edge of town, working against a deadline set for this evening by the U.S.-backed rebels to either achieve an armistice or break off six months of peace talks.
April 19, 1988 |
Contra leaders ended their first visit to Managua on Monday without progress toward a settlement of the Nicaraguan conflict. But they agreed to free all Sandinista war prisoners and return next week for further peace talks. A joint communique issued after the three-day session said only that government and rebel leaders held "frank and direct conversations" about differing interpretations of the preliminary peace accord that they signed a month ago.
April 16, 1988 |
Contra leaders returned from exile to the seat of Sandinista power Friday night to open talks on a political settlement of the six-year Nicaraguan conflict. "Look, the stars are still in the sky; they did not fall," quipped Adolfo Calero after stepping off a charter plane at the head of a 45-person rebel delegation. Interior Minister Tomas Borge, a powerful Sandinista figure, once vowed that stars would fall and rivers would reverse their flow before leaders of the U.S.
March 21, 1988 |
U.S. State Department spokesman Charles E. Redman said today that all or almost all the Nicaraguan forces have returned to their homeland, and Honduran President Jose Azcona Hoyo said the 3,200 U.S. soldiers on an emergency mission in Honduras probably won't be needed much longer. In Nicaragua, the Sandinista government and the U.S.-backed Contra rebels suspended military operations and began three days of unprecedented, direct peace talks.