YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsAnimal Attacks

Animal Attacks

February 1, 1989 | BETTINA BOXALL and MILES CORWIN, Times Staff Writers
The search continued Tuesday for the missing companion of a young woman killed in a shark attack last week, while news of the UCLA graduate student's violent death stunned classmates and faculty members on the Westwood campus. Members of Roy Jeffrey Stoddard's family were arriving at his Malibu home, still hopeful that he would be found alive, even though it has been more than five days since he set out from Malibu on a short morning kayaking excursion with his girlfriend, Tamara McAllister.
November 25, 2010 | By Robert Faturechi, Los Angeles Times
When UCLA neuroscientist J. David Jentsch was a grad student, he never expected his life as an academic would require around-the-clock armed guards, or a closed-circuit TV inside his bedroom so he could keep constant watch over his home. But the high-powered security proved necessary again this month when the researcher, who experiments on monkeys, opened a letter left in his mailbox to discover razor blades and a death threat. "We follow you on campus," Jentsch recalled the note reading.
October 9, 2000
A 6-week-old girl died Saturday night after she was mauled by the family's dog, according to the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department. The attack occurred in the girl's home in the 15500 block of Fellowship Street in Valinda, an unincorporated area between La Puente and West Covina, Deputy Cruz Solis said. An uncle baby-sitting the newborn left the child on a bed unattended while he went to the kitchen to prepare a bottle for her, Solis said.
September 15, 2008 | By Brad Dickson
I had zero interest when my fiancée approached me about boarding a friend's cat for six months while the friend was out of the country. I've always been a dog person, and it's easier to get someone to switch religions than their preference in dogs or cats. I relented when the owner couldn't find anyone else. Initially, I kept my distance. I always felt cats didn't really do much of anything, which is why I've advocated electing them to the L.A. City Council. But this cat was different.
Five years ago, Laura Small, a bright and friendly preschooler looking for tadpoles in Caspers Wilderness Park, was attacked by a mountain lion, her skull crushed by the feline's powerful jaw. A hiker grabbed a stick and poked the cat in the eyes until it dropped the 5-year-old El Toro girl and fled. Laura, now 10, survived the mauling, but was blinded in one eye, partially paralyzed, and left to cope with an assortment of painful physical and emotional scars.
Responding to complaints that coyotes have been sighted near a West Hills elementary school, Los Angeles City Councilwoman Laura Chick has asked animal regulation officials to depart from standard policy and begin trapping in the neighborhood. Chick was instrumental in formulating the city's policy adopted last year that allows for trapping only as a last resort, after residents have tried all other deterrents, such as installing fences and keeping pets and pet food indoors.
A woman who kept a menagerie of poisonous snakes, piranhas and other exotic animals in her Van Nuys trailer was found dead after apparently being bitten by a rare African viper, authorities said Thursday. Anita Finch, 33, was found Wednesday night in her living room curled in a fetal position with two puncture wounds in the back of her hand, said Scott Carrier, a spokesman for the Los Angeles county coroner's office.
April 2, 1987 | United Press International
A small boat carrying remains believed to be those of a Colorado woman killed by a crocodile was attacked by another crocodile that lunged four feet out of the water and snapped at the body bag, officials said Wednesday. The boat attack came as police gave the first detailed account of Sunday's grisly crocodile killing of Fay Ginger Meadows, 24, of Snowmass Village, Colo., who was attacked at the spectacular Kings Cascade Waterfall in northwestern Australia.
January 30, 1989 | DAVID FREED, Times Staff Writer
The Ventura County coroner said Sunday that a young woman whose body was found floating in the ocean near Ventura may have been the victim of an extremely rare shark attack, possibly the first such fatality in California waters in four years. The body of the unidentified woman, believed to be a windsurfer, was spotted Saturday about six miles off Channel Islands Harbor by the crew of a sailboat, Coroner Warren Lovell said. Crew members of a Coast Guard vessel retrieved the body.
November 8, 1995 | DAVID REYES
More than 20 stingray attacks have been reported in recent days at Huntington Beach, where calm surf and relatively warm water brought out the flat fish, lifeguards said Tuesday. "We've had a fair amount of stingray injuries," said Huntington Marine Safety Lt. Gregory Crow. "So we're trying to let everyone know they're out there." Usually, the small, undulating fish with the barbed whip-like tail are more plentiful during warm summer months when they plague highly populated beaches.
May 8, 2008 | David Kelly, Times Staff Writer
A rash of coyote attacks on children in the Inland Empire in the last week has led to the closure of a Chino Hills park, and wildlife officials are warning parents to be more cautious around the increasingly bold animals. "People cannot be ambivalent about coyotes," said Harry Morse, spokesman for the California Department of Fish and Game. "When that coyote starts toward you, it's not coming to be nice." Since Friday, two children have been attacked.
April 30, 2008 | From Times Wire Reports
A shark killed a San Francisco surfer at Troncones beach, near the Mexican resort of Ixtapa, officials said. The man bled to death Monday after a gray shark bit his right thigh, leaving a 15-inch wound, the Guerrero state Public Safety Department said in a statement. The U.S. Embassy in Mexico could not immediately confirm the man's name, but local authorities identified him as a 24-year-old who was surfing with a fellow American. The other man was not injured. The victim died from loss of blood a few minutes after reaching the hospital, the government statement said.
April 29, 2008 | Pete Thomas, Times Staff Writer
A major pro surfing competition begins today at Lower Trestles near San Clemente, just four days after a fatal shark attack occurred 30 miles down the coast. But for many in the field of 192, there will be too much at stake in the Trestles lineup to be concerned about what lurks below. The 6.0 Lowers Pro, sponsored by Nike and running through Saturday, is an $80,000 Assn.
April 28, 2008 | From the Associated Press
Beaches in San Diego County that were closed after a deadly shark attack will be reopened today, authorities said. At least eight miles of seafront were closed over the weekend following Friday's attack, in which 66-year-old retired veterinarian David Martin died after his legs were bitten by a shark, thought to have been a great white. As of Sunday, there had been no sign of the fish, estimated to be about 15 feet long. It was the first such attack in San Diego County since 1994.
April 24, 2008 | David Kelly, Times Staff Writer
Friends and colleagues of an animal trainer killed by a performing bear called it a "freak accident" Wednesday and said the 700-pound grizzly should not be euthanized. The animal, they said, did not intend to kill the bear expert. "The same thing he was doing I have done a hundred times.
February 26, 2008 | From Times Wire Reports
An Austrian tourist died after being bitten by a shark while diving near the Bahamas in waters that had been baited with bloody fish parts to attract the predators. Markus Groh, 49, a Vienna lawyer and diving enthusiast, was on a commercial dive trip when he was bitten about 50 miles off the coast of Fort Lauderdale. Groh was airlifted to a hospital where he died.
July 16, 2002 | From Times Wire Reports
Criminal charges were pending against a Yellowstone National Park visitor who was gored by a bison after he tried to get the animal to raise its head for a photograph, park officials said. No action will be taken against the bison. The man faces charges of harassing wildlife, park officials said in a written statement. Paul Jocelyn, 37, of Albertville, Minn.
When friends describe Adelia Trujillo, they invariably mention the way she carried herself. She stood straight-backed--at 93 still not using a cane, although it was getting tougher for her to walk. She was spunky and strong-willed and quietly stubborn. She insisted on staying in the small adobe house with the tin pitched roof where she reared her children and showed her grandchildren the traditional ways. She cooked her beans and tamales on a wood stove, and she began each day with prayer.
January 18, 2008 | From the Associated Press
One of the three victims of the San Francisco Zoo tiger attack was intoxicated and admitted standing atop a railing of the big-cat enclosure and yelling and waving at the animal that would later maul them, killing his friend, police said in court documents filed Thursday. Paul Dhaliwal, 19, told the father of Carlos Sousa Jr.
January 9, 2008 | From the Associated Press
A court commissioner has issued an emergency order for the police to hold the cellphones and a car belonging to the two brothers who survived a Christmas Day tiger attack at the San Francisco Zoo. The order addresses a letter sent by the city attorney's office to the lawyer for Kulbir and Paul Dhaliwal last Friday, asking him to preserve any photographs or call logs that were on the phones before the Dec. 25 maulings. A hearing has been scheduled for Friday in San Francisco Superior Court
Los Angeles Times Articles