October 8, 1998 |
The Arizona Department of Economic Security reached agreement with the Arizona Boys Ranch, allowing the troubled juvenile-offender rehabilitation program to continue operating in exchange for significant changes. Nicholaus Contreraz, 16, of Sacramento died under its care March 2, and a Pinal County grand jury has indicted five former Boys Ranch workers on child abuse and manslaughter charges.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
July 14, 1998
Re "State Crackdown Targets Boys Ranch," July 8: The announcement that the California Department of Social Services has terminated funding for the placement of juvenile offenders at Arizona Boys Ranch is welcome news. It must be remembered, however, that the death of 16-year-old Nicholaus Contreraz was the result of a series of deliberate and repeated acts of abuse and neglect during his two-month stay at the ranch. Justice for Nicholaus can be fully realized only when those responsible for his death are arrested, stand trial and are convicted; and all things being equal--executed.
August 27, 1998 |
A five-month Arizona state investigation concluded Wednesday that "abuse and neglect" led to the death of a 16-year-old Sacramento youth at Arizona Boys Ranch and prompted officials to deny an operating license to the paramilitary-style boot camp for juvenile offenders. The Department of Economic Security report also revealed that 17 former staff members will be placed on the Arizona Child Abuser Directory as a result of their treatment of Nicholaus Contreraz.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
June 14, 1998 |
On the day he died, Nicholaus Contreraz was awakened at 6:30 a.m. He had been sleeping on a mattress positioned halfway in the bathroom of Barracks 31. Staff at the Arizona Boys Ranch had placed the 16-year-old Sacramento youth on Yellow Shirt status for, among other reasons, persistently defecating and urinating on himself. They wanted him to be near the toilet.
July 1, 1998 |
The Arizona Department of Economic Security on Tuesday announced it would temporarily extend the operating license of the Arizona Boys Ranch pending the completion of at least two inquiries into the March 2 death there of a 16-year-old Sacramento boy, as well as investigations of new child abuse allegations.
March 30, 1999 |
Five former Arizona Boys Ranch employees, once indicted for manslaughter, now face first-degree murder charges in the death of a California teen, a defense attorney said Monday. The criminal complaint, filed in Pinal County Superior Court, also accuses the defendants of child abuse in the March 1998 death of 16-year-old Nicholaus Contreraz of Sacramento, said Darrow Soll, a lawyer for defendant Montgomery Hoover. "This is absolutely beyond reality," Soll said.