Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsArthur Kent
IN THE NEWS

Arthur Kent

FEATURED ARTICLES
ENTERTAINMENT
October 30, 1992 | GREG BRAXTON, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Former NBC foreign correspondent Arthur Kent, who was fired last Aug. 21, filed a $25-million lawsuit in U.S. District Court here Thursday alleging that NBC blackened his reputation by accusing him of cowardice. Kent, who is currently in Bosnia doing reports on the Yugoslavian civil war for the British Broadcasting Corp., the Canadian Broadcasting Corp.
ARTICLES BY DATE
ENTERTAINMENT
September 20, 2008 | From the Associated Press
The former NBC reporter who became known as the Scud Stud during the first Gulf War has settled a lawsuit against the makers of "Charlie Wilson's War" over footage used in the Tom Hanks-Julia Roberts movie. Arthur Kent, whose live reports on Iraq's Scud missile attacks on Saudia Arabia made him a celebrity, claimed in a lawsuit filed last April that Universal Studios and others violated his intellectual property rights by using without his consent segments of a 1986 news program he made about the Soviet Union's war in Afghanistan.
Advertisement
ENTERTAINMENT
August 15, 1992 | SHARON BERNSTEIN, SPECIAL TO THE TIMES
Arthur Kent, who last year rose to prominence as one of NBC's key reporter in the Persian Gulf, Friday called the network's management team "incompetent and unworthy," and accused executives of maligning him simply to get the upper hand in a contract dispute.
ENTERTAINMENT
April 26, 2008 | From the Associated Press
The Canadian reporter known as the "Scud Stud" during the 1991 Gulf War has sued the makers of "Charlie Wilson's War" over footage used in the Tom Hanks-Julia Roberts movie. Arthur Kent, whose live NBC reports from Saudi Arabia on Iraq's Scud missile attacks made him a celebrity, claims in a federal lawsuit filed in Los Angeles this week that filmmakers violated his intellectual property rights. The lawsuit claims Universal Studios and other companies used segments of a 1986 news program Kent made about the Soviet Union's war in Afghanistan without his consent.
ENTERTAINMENT
August 18, 1992 | SHARON BERNSTEIN, SPECIAL TO THE TIMES
The battle between foreign correspondent Arthur Kent and NBC News escalated Monday, with Kent donning a safari jacket and handing out leaflets in front of network headquarters in New York and NBC firing back with a press release calling the correspondent's behavior "bizarre and unfortunate." Kent was suspended in the midst of a contract dispute with the network for refusing an assignment to Zagreb, Croatia, to cover U.N. teams inspecting internment camps in nearby Serbia.
ENTERTAINMENT
August 22, 1992 | SHARON BERNSTEIN, SPECIAL TO THE TIMES
NBC News on Friday fired Arthur Kent, the star of the network's Persian Gulf War coverage and, as recently as six months ago, one of its fastest-rising correspondents. The dismissal marked the culmination of a week of ugly accusations between Kent and the network about the personal integrity of those involved.
ENTERTAINMENT
March 10, 1993 | HOWARD ROSENBERG
If anyone is surprised at how low NBC News has plummeted in the wake of the "Dateline NBC" crash-rigging scandal, prompting the resignation of news division president Michael Gartner, just remember . . . Arthur Kent told you so. Gartner is "an insect," says the 39-year-old Kent, still angry at the company that hired him as a full-time foreign correspondent in 1988, then fired him in 1992 in a messy incident that made headlines.
ENTERTAINMENT
October 2, 1992 | ALEENE MacMINN, Arts and entertainment reports from The Times, national and international news services and the nation's press
Back on Duty: Arthur Kent, the former NBC foreign correspondent who was fired in the summer in a dispute with the network, is back at work as an independent journalist in Yugoslavia. Kent, whom NBC had said refused to go to the war-torn region, will be reporting on the unrest in the Balkans for the British Broadcasting Corp., the Canadian Broadcasting Corp. and the Observer newspaper of London.
ENTERTAINMENT
April 26, 2008 | From the Associated Press
The Canadian reporter known as the "Scud Stud" during the 1991 Gulf War has sued the makers of "Charlie Wilson's War" over footage used in the Tom Hanks-Julia Roberts movie. Arthur Kent, whose live NBC reports from Saudi Arabia on Iraq's Scud missile attacks made him a celebrity, claims in a federal lawsuit filed in Los Angeles this week that filmmakers violated his intellectual property rights. The lawsuit claims Universal Studios and other companies used segments of a 1986 news program Kent made about the Soviet Union's war in Afghanistan without his consent.
ENTERTAINMENT
August 24, 1992 | SHARON BERNSTEIN, SPECIAL TO THE TIMES
When NBC ordered "The Tonight Show" to cancel Friday's scheduled appearance of former NBC News correspondent Arthur Kent, it marked the first time the network had overridden a booking decision since Jay Leno took over as host last spring, according to the program's executive producer, Helen Kushnick. Both Kushnick and NBC spokeswoman Sue Binford said that they do not expect the veto to become standard operating procedure. "I'm not going to ask them every time I book someone," Kushnick said.
ENTERTAINMENT
January 11, 2008 | From the Associated Press
The "Scud Stud" is giving up journalism for politics. Arthur Kent, a Canadian whose live NBC reports on Iraq's Scud missile attacks on Saudi Arabia during the 1991 Gulf War made him a celebrity, is running for a legislative seat in his home province of Alberta. Intense and handsome, Kent stood on a rooftop to tell about Iraqi missiles falling on Dharan, Saudi Arabia. He wore a leather jacket and was soon dubbed "the Scud Stud" in the media. Kent, 54, left NBC in a contract dispute in 1992.
ENTERTAINMENT
December 20, 2002 | Howard Rosenberg
The present never escapes the past. Flashback to the U.S. versus Saddam Hussein Part 1, when it was another nerve-jangling night on the media's Persian Gulf War beat as falling missiles sent edgy TV reporters scrambling in Dhahran, Saudi Arabia. It was a night when NBC correspondent Arthur Kent sprang into action there while readying a war update for halftime of his network's Raiders-Bills AFC championship telecast.
ENTERTAINMENT
March 17, 1994 | JANE HALL, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Former NBC News correspondent Arthur Kent, who filed suit against the network after he was fired in 1992 for allegedly refusing an assignment to cover a war zone, said Wednesday he had agreed to an out-of-court settlement that provides him money and something he considered more important: his reputation. NBC released a statement acknowledging that Kent had not been released because he refused to travel to the former Yugoslavia, as executives had maintained at the time.
ENTERTAINMENT
May 4, 1993 | SHAUNA SNOW, Arts and entertainment reports from The Times, national and international news services and the nation's press
Screening: Former NBC News correspondent Arthur Kent will screen his award-winning short documentary "A View of Bosnia" tonight at 7:30 at the new Museum of Tolerance, 9786 W. Pico Blvd. Kent, who has sued NBC for firing him a year ago amid disagreements over assignments in the Yugoslav war, will also take questions from the audience. Tickets are $20. Information: (310) 553-9036.
ENTERTAINMENT
March 10, 1993 | HOWARD ROSENBERG
If anyone is surprised at how low NBC News has plummeted in the wake of the "Dateline NBC" crash-rigging scandal, prompting the resignation of news division president Michael Gartner, just remember . . . Arthur Kent told you so. Gartner is "an insect," says the 39-year-old Kent, still angry at the company that hired him as a full-time foreign correspondent in 1988, then fired him in 1992 in a messy incident that made headlines.
ENTERTAINMENT
October 30, 1992 | GREG BRAXTON, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Former NBC foreign correspondent Arthur Kent, who was fired last Aug. 21, filed a $25-million lawsuit in U.S. District Court here Thursday alleging that NBC blackened his reputation by accusing him of cowardice. Kent, who is currently in Bosnia doing reports on the Yugoslavian civil war for the British Broadcasting Corp., the Canadian Broadcasting Corp.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|