Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsAssault
IN THE NEWS

Assault

CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
January 9, 2014 | By Robert J. Lopez
A man suspected of sexually assaulting a 10-year-old girl at a Palmdale restaurant on New Year's Day may have been spotted in Riverside County, authorities said Thursday. The driver of a vehicle told authorities that a man apparently matching the suspect's description was at the Promenade Mall on Monday afternoon, the Riverside County Sheriff's Department said.  The man walked in front of the driver's vehicle. Afterward, the driver realized that the man might be the sexual assault suspect and contacted law enforcement authorities.
Advertisement
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
September 18, 2013
Join us at 9 a.m., when we talk with Times reporters Jason Song and Jason Felch about Occidental College's settlement with current and former students who accused the campus of mishandling allegations of sexual assault. During talks last week, senior officials at the Eagle Rock liberal arts college agreed to pay the women an undisclosed sum on the condition that they not speak publicly about the college's handling of their cases, according to three sources familiar with the agreement.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
December 23, 2013 | By Adolfo Flores
An Anaheim man is expected to be arraigned Monday for allegedly attacking a woman on a jogging trail and attempting to sexually assault a neighbor. Mario Orlando Montano, 55, is accused of entering his neighbor's home Dec. 9 after he was let in by a child. He asked the 42-year-old woman who lived there for sex and when she declined he cornered her in a room, according to authorities. Montano kept telling her he wanted sex, tried to put his arm around her and unzipped his pants, authorities said.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
January 18, 2014 | By Martha Groves
A 23-year-old woman remained in serious condition in a hospital Saturday after she was assaulted overnight while waiting in line to enter an establishment in Santa Ana's downtown arts district, authorities said. Police said they were looking for witnesses who might have shot cellphone video of the altercation. "Based on interviews, we think people in line shot video," said Cpl. Anthony Bertagna of the Santa Ana Police Department. According to police, the victim was standing in line with friends just after midnight Friday at 400 N. Broadway in the Downtown Artists Village when an argument broke out with another group of patrons.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
August 13, 2009 | Robert J. Lopez
A man suspected of seriously injuring a Culver City councilman after a dispute over a drink at a bar turned himself in to police Wednesday. Robert Anthony Singerman, 28, was booked on suspicion of assault with a deadly weapon and released on bail about 4:45 p.m., police said. Police said Singerman punched Councilman Micheal "Mehaul" O'Leary about 2 a.m. Sunday at Joxer Daly's Pub, which the councilman owns. O'Leary was seriously injured and remained hospitalized Wednesday, though he was taken out of intensive care.
NEWS
November 11, 1985 | Associated Press
A psychologist who insisted on smoking a cigar in the no-smoking section of a TWA jetliner has been charged with assault, Scotland Yard said Sunday. Steven Varvaris, 52, of Jackson, Miss., will appear Monday in Uxbridge Magistrates Court on the charge of assault "occasioning actual bodily harm," said Scotland Yard spokeswoman Marion Irving.
NATIONAL
March 6, 2014 | By Lisa Mascaro
WASHINGTON - An ambitious bill seeking to stem the rise of sexual assaults in the military died Thursday after senators from both parties refused to limit the role of commanding officers in deciding whether to prosecute such cases. Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.) pushed the issue to prominence during this congressional session, arguing on behalf of victims who testified that they feared retaliation for pressing assault allegations up the military chain of command. Her bill - which won support from 17 of the 20 women in the Senate - would have shifted sexual assault investigations to military prosecutors.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
August 27, 2013 | By Richard Winton
"Girls Gone Wild" creator Joe Francis was sentenced Tuesday to 270 days in jail and three years' probation for an assault and false imprisonment of three women. Francis, 40, was released on bond and is expected to appeal the verdict, which followed a two-week trial in May. He blasted the verdict as coming from a jury that was "retarded" and should have been "euthanized. " As part of the sentence, he must also complete a year of psychological counseling. Francis was convicted of five charges -- three counts of false imprisonment, one of dissuading a witness from reporting and one of assault causing great bodily injury -- stemming from a Jan. 29, 2011, incident.
BUSINESS
April 14, 2002
James Flanigan stated a very real fact: No industry was hit as severely as travel ["Hotel Industry's Plan Confirm Recovery--and More," March 31]. But within the industry, travel agents have been battered on all fronts. During the days following Sept. 11, we did most of the airlines' work--for no profit--simply out of the desire to assist during a crisis. Yet the airlines' assault on U.S. travel agencies continues unabated. Their actions draw little attention. The major U.S. air carriers recently dropped commissions to U.S. travel agencies to zero.
NATIONAL
March 6, 2008 | From Times Wire Reports
A former paramedic was sentenced in Standish to between 40 months and 15 years in prison for sexually assaulting a 15-year-old while she was being taken to a hospital. David Spresny, 43, was found guilty in January of third-degree criminal sexual conduct. The girl, who was hurt in a traffic accident, said she was molested while strapped to a backboard in the ambulance.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|