Advertisement
 
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsAssaults Los Angeles
IN THE NEWS

Assaults Los Angeles

CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
July 4, 2001 | GENE MADDAUS, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Police are searching for a man who allegedly stabbed his girlfriend to death, injured a man who came to her aid, and fled with his 3-year-old son Tuesday. Police did not release the 28-year-old woman's name because her family had not been notified. The toddler was found unharmed at his grandmother's house in Chino. Investigators say that about 1 p.m., Jose Mario Armendariz, 32, stabbed the woman outside the apartment they shared in the 800 block of Reeves Place.
Advertisement
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
June 28, 2001 | ANNA GORMAN and JOHN L. MITCHELL, TIMES STAFF WRITERS
A spate of violence in South and Southeast Los Angeles since Sunday has left two men dead and 19 wounded in what police say are unrelated incidents. Police said most of the attacks were gang-related, but they are not calling the outbreak a gang war. Except for two shootings Sunday night between rival gang members, police said there were no connections among the incidents.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
June 26, 2001 | HECTOR BECERRA, TIMES STAFF WRITER
The leader of a group of immigrant smugglers who held people for ransom in San Fernando Valley houses while brutalizing and raping some of them was sentenced Monday to life in federal prison. According to trial testimony, Mario Arenas-Morales, 34, ordered his men, five of whom have been convicted so far, to rape two female immigrants, beat and torture two men and abandon them without shoes in deserted areas in 1999. U.S. District Judge George H.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
June 26, 2001 | ANNA GORMAN, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Violence marked the city's first summer weekend, authorities said, with a 17-year-old boy killed and 12 people wounded by gunfire. Police reported a stabbing and six shooting incidents Sunday night in south and southeast Los Angeles. Five of the victims were teenagers. Two of the attacks were connected, Los Angeles police said, and at least three were drive-by shootings. One man is in custody. "During the summer months, we tend to see a lot more incidents," said Los Angeles Police Lt.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
June 1, 2001 | MAURA DOLAN, TIMES LEGAL AFFAIRS WRITER
Victims of attacks in crime-ridden buildings cannot collect monetary damages from owners unless there is clear evidence that a lack of security was directly responsible for the crime, a divided California Supreme Court decided Thursday. On a 4-3 vote, the court said a female FedEx employee who was attacked while delivering a package to a Bellflower apartment complex failed to prove that security guards and other preventive measures would have forestalled the assault.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
May 27, 2001
Detectives are investigating the death of a 63-year-old woman who was apparently bludgeoned to death in her apartment on West 58th Street in Los Angeles, officials said. The body of Joyce Broomfield was discovered Friday afternoon by officers who forced entry into her home after someone reported that the grandmother had not been seen since Wednesday, said Det. Rudy Lemos. Broomfield's brown Ford Granada, license 1ERE811, was missing.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
May 25, 2001 | Times Staff and Wire Reports
A man who allegedly drove into a crowd on skid row Wednesday and then was beaten unconscious by an angry group was in jail and recovering from his injuries Thursday, authorities said. At 4:45 p.m. Ruben Martinez, 22, backed his car onto a busy sidewalk in the 400 block of South Towne Avenue, Los Angeles police said. Two people suffered minor injuries. Martinez reportedly drove away but returned.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
May 25, 2001 | Times Staff and Wire Reports
A man who drove into a crowd on Skid Row on Wednesday and then was beaten unconscious by an angry mob was in jail recovering from his injuries Thursday, authorities said. At about 4:45 p.m. Ruben Martinez, 22, backed his car onto a busy sidewalk in the 400 block of South Towne Avenue, said Los Angeles police spokeswoman Hayley Purece. At least two people suffered minor injuries. Martinez reportedly drove away, but quickly returned. He revved the engine and yelled profanities, Purece said.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
April 17, 2001 | ROBERTO J. MANZANO
An 18-year-old man was shot twice in the back in Pacoima and two 17-year-old boys were stabbed in Van Nuys on Monday afternoon in unrelated incidents that may both involve gangs, Los Angeles police said. The shooting victim was taken to an area hospital, where he was in serious condition but expected to survive, a nursing supervisor said. The man was shot near a Taco Bell restaurant in the 12700 block of Van Nuys Boulevard about 5 p.m.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
March 29, 2001 | TWILA DECKER, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Richard Alan Minsky, an alleged con man accused of preying on women across the country, was ordered Wednesday to stand trial on charges stemming from sexual assaults committed in the Los Angeles area in 1998. After a preliminary hearing, Superior Court Judge Jacqueline Connor ruled Wednesday that there is enough evidence to require the 56-year-old Massachusetts native to stand trial.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|