Advertisement
 
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsAtlantis
IN THE NEWS

Atlantis

NATIONAL
April 27, 2012 | By Rene Lynch
It's wheels-up for the space shuttle Enterprise. The NASA shuttle is getting the ultimate piggy-back ride to its new home in New York City this morning, setting the stage for a dramatic flyover of the world's most famous skyline. The Enterprise was affixed atop a specially modified 747 that took off moments ago from Dulles International Airport near Washington, headed for John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York. PHOTOS: The space shuttle program, 1972-2011 There will be plenty of photo ops before it lands: The aircraft will fly near a variety of landmarks, including the Statue of Liberty, although the exact flight plan has not been revealed.
Advertisement
NATIONAL
April 27, 2012 | By Rene Lynch
Welcome home, space shuttle Enterprise. The NASA shuttle soared over the Statue of Liberty and the world's most famous skyline Friday morning before landing safely at John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York City. Hundreds were waiting to greet the aircraft, including NASA dignitaries, fidgety schoolchildren and Leonard Nimoy. "It feels like a reunion," Nimoy told CNN. Nimoy, who played Spock on the 1960s sci-fi series "Star Trek," recalled being photographed with the Enterprise when it was first unveiled as part of a politics-meets-pop culture moment.
SPORTS
December 14, 1990 | STEVE HARVEY
Who cares about the debate over the No. 1 college team? For most football fans, the main issue has been settled--mainly, who gets Floyd of Rosedale. It's Minnesota, of course. The trophy originated 55 years ago when the governors of Minnesota and Iowa wagered a real hog on the outcome of the Gopher-Hawkeye game. (As if the game itself isn't big enough.) Then, rather than pass poor Floyd back and forth every year, a bronze likeness of the blue-ribbon pig was created.
NATIONAL
February 22, 2006 | From Associated Press
Atlantis will be the first of NASA's three space shuttles to be retired, most likely in 2008, as the shuttle program winds down, a senior agency official said Tuesday. Atlantis' parts will be used as replacements by the remaining shuttles, Discovery and Endeavour, until the aging spacecraft are mothballed in 2010, shuttle program manager Wayne Hale told workers at the Kennedy Space Center.
NEWS
February 27, 1990 | From Times Wire Services
The weather improved and NASA resumed the countdown today for a sixth attempt to launch the shuttle Atlantis on a secret mission to put a spy satellite in orbit. Air Force forecasters said there is a 60% chance that the weather will allow the liftoff at 12:45 a.m. Wednesday. The odds are up from 40% Monday.
NATIONAL
January 4, 2008 | From Times Wire Reports
NASA will delay the flight of space shuttle Atlantis until late January or, more likely, February to replace a suspect connector in a fuel tank, officials said at Cape Canaveral. The connector is believed to be responsible for back-to-back launch postponements last month.
NEWS
September 18, 2000 | From Times Wire Reports
The shuttle Atlantis and its astronauts pulled away from the international space station after a short but productive stay, Kennedy Space Center reported. The astronauts had flown together eight days. "You did a fantastic job," Mission Control radioed once the doors to the station were closed earlier in the day, "and we know the Expedition One crew will really appreciate all the effort you put in getting their new home set up."
NATIONAL
September 5, 2008 | From Times Wire Reports
NASA moved the space shuttle Atlantis to the launch pad for a flight next month to the Hubble Space Telescope after being waylaid by two tropical storms. Atlantis is supposed to blast off Oct. 8 on NASA's final visit to Hubble, but it is expected to be delayed a couple of days because of work lost to Tropical Storms Fay and Hanna. A technical problem with the hookup between the shuttle and its external fuel tank also stalled operations. Fay dumped an extraordinary amount of rain on the area two weeks ago and shut down Kennedy Space Center for three days.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|