January 9, 2006 |
The Australian and Canadian embassies in the capital, Amman, closed for security reasons, a day after Britain shut its embassy, citing the danger of a terrorist attack. The U.S. Embassy remained open. The British Foreign Office on Saturday warned Britons visiting Jordan that "terrorists may be in the final stages of planning attacks against Westerners."
October 28, 2003 |
Australia and New Zealand will start withdrawing troops from the Solomon Islands as a peacekeeping mission restores law and order. Australia sent 1,400 personnel in July as leader of a 2,225-strong force of soldiers and police from six nations. Direct intervention was seen as the only way to end years of fighting by ethnic militias. Australia said 800 of its personnel would return home by early December.
December 10, 1986 |
Authorities said Bulgarian weightlifting star Neum Shalamanov has vanished, and a local Turkish-language newspaper said Wednesday the athlete plans to seek political asylum in Australia. The 19-year-old Shalamanov won the world cup competition in Melbourne on Sunday, his third title. Australian weightlifting federation president Sam Coppa said Shalamanov had not been seen or heard from since Sunday night, when he attended a post-tournament banquet.
November 15, 2005 |
Members of an alleged Islamic terrorist cell in Sydney stockpiled bomb-making materials, trained at outback hunting camps and sized up Australia's only nuclear reactor as a possible target, according to a police report released Monday. In the 20-page glimpse into Australia's biggest terrorism investigation, police said the eight suspects arrested last week had the know-how and were assembling chemicals, detonators, digital timers and batteries to carry out a major bomb attack.
June 29, 2006 |
An Australian terrorist suspect being held at Guantanamo Bay would serve prison time in Australia if he was convicted by a U.S. military tribunal, Justice Minister Christopher Ellison said today. David Hicks, 31, has been held at the U.S. military camp in Cuba since 2002. He was captured in 2001 in Afghanistan, where he allegedly fought alongside the Taliban. He is one of several inmates chosen to face a U.S. military trial.
June 27, 2002 |
HONG KONG * A mainland Chinese migrant sought asylum at the Australian Consulate in Hong Kong, saying he was being persecuted by the territory's campaign to deport several thousand mainlanders who want to stay here with their families. But Cheng Chiu-leung soon left the building, saying he was told he did not meet the requirements for political asylum. The Australians did not immediately comment. Cheng's mainland-born parents, grandparents and brother have Hong Kong residency.
March 8, 2007 |
In a boost to Northrop Grumman Corp.'s El Segundo operations, Australia has agreed to buy 24 F/A-18F Super Hornet fighter bombers in a deal valued at about $4.6 billion. It marks the first foreign sale of the plane that has been the mainstay of the U.S. Navy's aviation arsenal. About 1,200 people work on the program in El Segundo, where Northrop makes the center section of the fuselage and other components for the aircraft. The plane is completed by Boeing Co. in St. Louis. -- Peter Pae
September 25, 2005 |
Britain and Australia have informed Japan of plans to withdraw their troops from southern Iraq in May, a move that could affect Tokyo's decision on whether to extend its troop deployment there, a Japanese news report said Saturday. Japan has about 550 troops in the southern Iraqi city of Samawah, but their mission is restricted to noncombat humanitarian and reconstruction work, and their activities largely depend on security provided by British and Australian forces.
July 22, 2003 |
The United States has assured Australia that it will not seek a death sentence against an Australian terrorism suspect detained at Guantanamo Bay if he is convicted, Defense Minister Robert Hill said Monday. The comment came as Australian Justice Minister Christopher Ellison arrived in Washington to join a British delegation lobbying U.S. officials for a fair trial for detained nationals.
October 16, 2009 |
Five men were convicted today of plotting a terrorist attack by collecting bomb-making instructions and purchasing explosive chemicals in Australia's largest terrorist conspiracy. A jury deliberated for a month before finding the men guilty of conspiring to commit acts in preparation for a terrorist attack. Each faces a maximum sentence of life in prison. During the trial, which began in November, prosecutor Richard Maidment told the jury in New South Wales state Supreme Court that the men planned to use explosive devices or firearms to commit "extreme violence" in a bid to force Australia's government to change its policy on Middle East conflicts.