February 8, 1991 |
C ynthia Blum was newly pregnant when she and her doctor husband decided to find out if their household was safe from lead exposure. They sent away for a home lead testing kit. When it arrived, they unpacked a set of Italian pottery. And, "just out of curiosity," Blum pulled out a crystal decanter they had received as a wedding gift. They tested the tableware at their Tenafly, N.J., home: The pottery was negative; the decanter was positive. Lead apparently was leaking from the crystal.
June 6, 1991
The women arrived carrying baby bottles, clothing, bibs and cuddly toys--typical gifts for a baby shower. But, with no expectant mother in sight, this was no ordinary shower. The recent party at the Unitarian Universalist Church in Long Beach was the first annual baby shower for low-income women sponsored by the local chapter of the National Organization for Women.
May 19, 2008 |
The synthetic chemical bisphenol A has long been found in many household products, but it's just starting to become a household name. Not to mention a hot topic in the scientific community. "Papers about it are being published at the rate of about one a day," says John Bucher, associate director for the National Toxicology Program, an agency of the National Institutes of Health.
July 16, 2013 |
SÃO PAULO, Brazil -- A man died after a one-ton cow crashed through his roof and landed on him while he was asleep in bed, local press reported. Authorities said the cow wandered down a hill and onto the top of the home of Joao Maria de Souza, 45, in the small city of Caratinga before crashing through a thin asbestos roof. Maria de Souza was initially conscious after the blow on July 10, authorities said, but succumbed to injuries the next day. The cow, which was reportedly uninjured, narrowly missed his wife.
September 9, 1987 |
Return with us now to those great days in gas station history . . . when vandals were content with occasionally stopping up restroom toilets instead of stealing them outright, when attendants were not locked into kiosks behind bullet-proof glass . . . those thrilling days of yesteryear . . . when full serve was the only serve, when station attendants freely washed car windows, checked oil, water and tire pressure and handed out complimentary maps . . .
HOME & GARDEN
December 6, 2008
Just how crazy are some pet lovers? It's a question that needs no words to answer -- not when you have a photo of an otherwise dignified feline posed in a pink wig. Go to www.kittywigs.com, and the first question in the FAQ says it all: "Is this for real?" The answer, of course, is yes.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
March 11, 1995 |
Amid widespread speculation that he is about to announce his candidacy for the White House, Gov. Pete Wilson on Friday took part in an odd twist on the traditional political ritual of kissing babies. To demonstrate the safety of products for infants made by Munchkin Inc. of Van Nuys, Wilson struggled to yank the nipple off a cap to a baby bottle before a crowd of reporters.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
October 19, 1988
A Superior Court judge reinstated murder charges Tuesday against a Santa Ana couple accused of causing their 2-month-old baby's death by keeping her near uncovered amounts of cocaine in the house. The judge's decision sent Debbie Delgado into tears. Her husband, Gilbert Delgado, tried to comfort her. "She hadn't expected this," said her attorney, Charles Margines. "It's a tough disappointment."
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
April 16, 1986
The manufacturers of Cabbage Patch Kids dolls agreed Tuesday to pay more than $50,000 in civil penalties and costs to settle a consumer protection lawsuit accusing the company of leaving out the socks depicted on packages of its hockey doll.