July 9, 2006
RAIN couldn't spoil the intense color or striking geometry of these irrigated rice fields on Bali, captured by Daniel Fink during his trip in April. Fink, an L.A. doctor, got the shot -- holding his Casio Exilim EZ-40 in one hand and an umbrella in the other. The stop in Gulingan, a rice-growing village more than 400 years old, was part of a tour of the southern part of the Indonesian island that also included nearby temples.
February 12, 2003 |
An Indonesian who admitted constructing the bombs that killed 192 people in Bali last year said Tuesday that he was proud of his group's skills but now feels sorry for the victims, and he begged forgiveness. Ali Imron, one of the main suspects held by Indonesian police investigating the Oct. 12 bombings, told a Bali news conference that although the majority of the victims were Australian tourists, the real target was the United States.
February 19, 2003 |
The death toll from October's terrorist bombings on Indonesia's resort island of Bali has been revised to 202, a police spokesman said. Lt. Col. Yatim Suyatmo said a final report estimated that 194 people were killed on Bali and that eight others died of their injuries in hospitals overseas. The report was issued by forensics experts assigned to identify and count the bodies, Suyatmo said. Officials originally put the death toll at 192.
October 12, 2005 |
Investigators announced that they had arrested a man who allegedly shared a house with three suicide bombers who killed 20 people this month in Bali, Indonesia. The 45-year-old construction worker, identified only as Hasan, disappeared three days before the restaurant bombings and was tracked down in neighboring East Java province, said chief detective Capt. Wahyu Wim Hardjanto. He was being questioned by police in Bali.
August 14, 2005 |
A militant cleric jailed for his role in the 2002 Bali bombings will be among 53,000 inmates receiving sentence reductions Wednesday to mark Indonesia's independence day, officials said. Abu Bakar Bashir, alleged head of the Jemaah Islamiah terrorist network, was convicted in March of conspiracy in the Bali attack, which killed 202 people. Others convicted in the blasts will also receive reductions in their terms, a Cabinet official told the Jakarta Post.
August 17, 2006 |
At least nine Islamic militants jailed for the 2002 Bali bombings got four-month reductions in their sentences to mark Indonesia's independence day, a Justice Ministry official said. They played relatively minor roles in the suicide bombings, including carrying out robberies to finance the attacks and helping shelter suspects. The sentence reductions could anger countries that lost citizens in the twin nightclub attacks that killed 202 people, many of them foreign tourists.
August 25, 2003 |
Prosecutors urged judges to sentence to death an Islamic militant accused of planning and financing last year's bombings on the resort island of Bali in which 202 people died. Ali Gufron, a 43-year-old religious teacher better known as Mukhlas, has admitted playing a role in the Oct. 12 attacks. Mukhlas sighed deeply and raised his hands in prayer after the sentencing demand was read out. About two dozen people in the courtroom applauded.
July 27, 1991 |
Stung by criticism for allowing the mass destruction of turtles, the governor of Indonesia's tropical resort island of Bali said he would stop restaurants and hotels from serving them up for meals. "Officials will conduct operations at hotels, restaurants and other eating places, including those where turtles are usually butchered," Gov. Ida Bagus Oka said Friday, according to the Antara news agency.
September 3, 2004 |
A militant sentenced to life imprisonment for his role in the 2002 Bali nightclub bombings was seen sipping coffee with a senior Indonesian police officer at a Starbucks in Jakarta. A police spokesman said Brig. Gen. Gorries Mere broke no laws by taking Ali Imron from prison temporarily and buying him coffee. He said Mere wanted to talk to Imron in connection with "several terror cases."
November 1, 2002 |
Indonesia has identified one of three suspects in the Bali bombings and begun a manhunt, chief investigator Made M. Pastika told Australian media. "We are sending now four teams of the police, the specialized police, to run after him.... They are still trying to find him," Pastika said without naming the suspect. Pastika said a reliable informant had come forward after the release of sketches of three suspects in the Oct. 12 bombings in Kuta that killed more than 180 people, many from