July 19, 2013 |
Disturbing news this week for Barbie: Mattel reported that revenue from the doll fell 12% in the second quarter that ended June 30. That's Barbie's fourth straight quarterly sales slide. It's tough to be a middle-aged female entertainer, and Barbie, at 54, is no different. Over the years, she has tried to rebrand herself -- Dentist Barbie, Astronaut Barbie -- but she's still struggling to keep a strong fan base. Mutating into the meme of the moment doesn't seem to work for her. Becoming Hip Hop Barbie won't make her a cult figure again.
July 17, 2013 |
Barbie seems to be losing ground as the queen bee of doll-dom, as sales of the Mattel Inc. figurine slipped for the fourth straight quarter. Revenue from the fashion toy sank 12% in the second quarter, which ended June 30, the El Segundo-based company said Wednesday. During the same period, other girl brands such as Monster High surged up 23%, the company said. Mattel's American Girl line got a 14% boost. The Fisher-Price product category took a 3% hit, while Hot Wheels tumbled 1%. Overall, sales at the nation's largest toymaker were up 1% to $1.17 billion, though revenue from North America softened 2%. The company is doing heady business abroad, where a growing middle class helped sales swell 4%. Emerging-growth markets such as China, Russia and India “continue to prove to be fertile ground,” with revenue surging by double digits, Chief Executive Bryan G. Stockton said in a conference call with analysts.
July 5, 2013 |
If Barbie looked like an average 19-year-old girl, she'd have shorter legs, a thicker waist and a rear end to make pop star Demi Lovato proud. When Lovato saw photos this week comparing a more realistic doll, a model created by independent artist and researcher Nickolay Lamm, to the twiggy Barbie sold worldwide by El Segundo toymaker Mattel Inc., she tweeted that it was “amazing.” And in a separate missive to her more than 15 million Twitter...
June 9, 2013 |
Malibu, California's most fashionable resident is moving. Today, Barbie officially put her coastal Dreamhouse on the market and is packing up her three-story pink palace.... Over the next few months, Barbie will embark on a worldwide tour to find a new dream home. - Mattel press release, Feb. 6 MJ@matteldesign: OK, I can't believe they're all, "OK, come up with a new Barbie, and make her totally cool, oh, only, she can't live in Malibu, for no reason. " PM@matteldesign: Right?
June 3, 2013 |
With her beach blond hair, cheeky tan lines and chic shades, Malibu Barbie has been a style icon for many a young girl, including this one. Now, more than 40 years after she first hit the pop culture wave, Malibu Barbie is getting a makeover, from Los Angeles designer Trina Turk . And this time, she's wearing a bikini! Starting today, the Malibu Barbie by Trina Turk doll ($50) and collection will be available at Trina Turk stores, TrinaTurk.com and BarbieCollector.com . The mythical Malibu icon is the perfect canvas for Turk's cheerful 1960s and '70s-inspired SoCal aesthetic.
May 31, 2013 |
Barbie's pink motorcade is scheduled to make its first stop on its Barbie is Moving tour at the Grove on Saturday. It's likely to turn plenty of heads with its colorful convertible Corvette, Fiat, VW Beetle and 20-feet-tall truck. Whereas you or I might call on friends to help with a move, Barbie has enlisted Mario Lopez, who was on hand Friday along with his daughter Gia to get the moving process underway. PHOTOS: Barbie's Dream House over the years This all started in February when Mattel announced that Barbie was giving up her Malibu dream house and would travel to 11 cities in the U.S. and two in Canada looking for new places to live.