February 26, 2011 |
With record U.S. obesity rates and newly expanded Food and Drug Administration eligibility criteria for Lap-Band surgery, more and more Americans may be mulling the possibility of going beyond diet and exercise to tackle their weight and the medical problems that come with it. Those deciding on the surgical route face the often-baffling choice of which procedure is for them. Although there are some broad guidelines, experts say, the final choice comes down to what both patient and doctor are comfortable with.
May 30, 2013 |
Of the many powers mothers wield, few are more extraordinary than the power to nudge a child's health prospects in one direction or another simply by having incubated that child in her womb. Research is uncovering more and more instances in which a pregnant woman's own health issues powerfully influence those of her child. A new study demonstrates this is especially true of her weight status, and shows that weight-loss surgery can change the picture dramatically. Research has already shown that the children that obese women bear before and after they have undergone bariatric surgery are different from each other.
November 13, 2013 |
Fifteen years after they have weight-loss surgery, almost a third of patients who had Type 2 diabetes at the time they were operated on remain free of the metabolic disorder, a new study says. And six years following such surgery, patients had shaved their probability of suffering a heart attack over the next 10 years by 40%, their stroke risk by 42%, and their likelihood of dying over the next five years by 18%, additional research has concluded. The two studies, both presented Wednesday at the annual meeting of the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery in Atlanta, offer the first indications of weight-loss surgery's longer-term health benefits for patients.
March 10, 2011 |
Alcohol can be a minefield for anyone trying to lose weight. But for bariatric surgery patients, drinking can become increasingly problematic, a new study has found. Changes in the way the body absorbs and metabolizes alcohol after gastric bypass mean these patients need less alcohol to register intoxication on a breathalyzer, says a study published recently in the Journal of the American College of Surgeons . After drinking a single 5-ounce glass of red wine before their surgery, the study's 19 subjects had an average breath alcohol content of .024% -- well below the level at which most states consider a driver intoxicated.
January 30, 2012 |
Weight-loss surgeons from across the United States are attempting to distance themselves from surgery centers affiliated with the 1-800-GET-THIN advertising for Lap-Band surgery. In a letter to U.S. House members considering a congressional investigation of the Lap-Band and the massive Southern California ad campaign, the surgeons said it's important to note that not all weight-loss centers are created equal. They said nonprofit groups, including the American College of Surgeons and the American Society of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery, review outpatient clinics and award the top facilities with a “Center of Excellence” rating.
February 12, 2007 |
Surgery has surged in popularity as a way to treat severe obesity. Today, it appears safe enough that some surgeons are testing it in children. Most people who are tremendously obese can't shed their weight through diet and exercise. For more than 50 years, surgeons have offered them another way: shorten or diminish the capacity of the gut. The first operations in 1954 cut out most of the small intestine, says Dr.
January 31, 2012 |
Weight-loss surgeons from across the United States are attempting to distance themselves from surgery centers affiliated with the 1-800-GET-THIN advertising for Lap-Band surgery. In a letter to House members considering a congressional investigation of the Lap-Band and the massive Southern California ad campaign, the surgeons said it's important to note that not all weight-loss centers are created equal. They said nonprofit groups, including the American College of Surgeons and the American Society of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery, review outpatient clinics and award the top facilities with a Center of Excellence rating.
April 9, 2007 |
The daily gloom that many obese people endure is almost impossible to comprehend for the never-heavy. Struggles with irresistible urges to eat, weight-related health problems and embarrassment aren't always understood or received with sympathy; "just stop eating" is the simplistic advice usually offered by people who haven't a clue. "Fat: What No One Is Telling You," a new 90-minute PBS documentary, offers a more compassionate take on this thorny issue continually in the news.
September 18, 2012 |
Bariatric surgery works, if measured in hospital days and medicine costs 20 years after the operation, according to one of the new studies on obesity published in the Journal of the American Medical Assn. Gastric bypass surgery was shown to help severely obese patients, most of whom after six years had sustained an average weight loss of nearly 28% of their weight. For six years after their surgery, the patients in a Swedish study used more hospital days after bariatric surgery than obese people who didn't have the surgery, but in years 7 to 20 did not. The Swedish study, to be published Wednesday, included 1,010 adults who had surgery and 2,037 who did not. The study looked at long-term healthcare use. Of the surgery patients, 13% had gastric bypass, 19% gastric banding and the rest vertical-banded gastroplasty, a procedure no longer commonly performed.
March 29, 2004 |
Weight-loss surgery once was considered a rare measure of last resort. Now, tens of thousands of obese people a year are turning to such procedures, often out of frustration with more traditional attempts to shed excess pounds. Faced with the daunting task of paying for all those surgeries -- estimated at more than $3 billion last year -- a growing list of insurers around the country are canceling coverage of the controversial procedures. In recent weeks, Kentucky-based Humana Inc.