April 22, 2012 |
Tenderly, the lover caressed his beloved. So pale, so smooth. He tilted his head forward, the better to inhale that scent - rich and enticing. Fingertip to spine, feeling every contour, he pressed his face closer - and turned a page. I don't know what you were thinking about, but I was talking about a book. A real book. The Kindle and its ilk are just gizmos with pixilated screens. Hit the off button and its borrowed character vanishes. A genuine book has a soul of its own. It is tactile, beautiful, accessible.
July 13, 2013 |
Investigators have no found evidence that the internal fire that sent smoke billowing through a parked and empty Boeing Co. 787 Dreamliner in London on Friday was linked to problematic aircraft batteries, Britain's Air Accidents Investigation Branch said on Saturday. In a statement, the agency said that "it is clear that this heat damage is remote from the area in which the aircraft main and APU (Auxiliary Power Unit) batteries are located, and, at this stage, there is no evidence of a direct causal relationship.
September 13, 1992
A word of warning: Smoke detectors in motel rooms may not have batteries. My daughter and I discovered this after escaping from a 4 a.m. fire in British Columbia. We heard no alarm--someone knocked at our door and saved many lives. At our next stop the motel manager said the motel had detectors. Unfortunately, there were no batteries in them. PATRICIA MELNIKER Los Angeles
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
May 29, 2013 |
Since she was 13, Tiffany Arroyo lived with the smoke and rotten-egg smell from an Exide battery-recycling plant just blocks from her grandparents' home in Laureldale, Pa. "It was horrible, just horrible, to go outside and smell it," Arroyo, now 30, said of the recently idled facility. "And the stuff that came out of the chimney, you could see it just everywhere for miles. In the morning, you'd have dust on the car, like gray dust, and it would cover the grass. " So much lead dust poured from the plant, which Exide acquired in the 1980s, that it contaminated hundreds of residential properties including her grandparents' yard.
October 31, 2008 |
Computer makers are recalling 100,000 laptop battery packs made by Sony Corp. after 40 reports of overheating, according to the Consumer Product Safety Commission. The recall applies to Sony 2.15Ah lithium-ion cell batteries made in Japan and sold in laptops made by Hewlett-Packard Co., Dell Inc. and Toshiba Corp. Some incidents involved smoke or flames, according to Sony. Details, including laptop model numbers, are posted on the commission's website at www.cpsc.gov.
April 11, 2014 |
Sony is issuing a warning to users of its Vaio Fit 11A, telling them to stop using the laptops because the batteries could overheat and catch fire. According to the Wall Street Journal, the batteries made by Panasonic are found in nearly 26,000 Vaio computers. Sony has received three reports of batteries overheating, which caused partial burns to Vaio computers. VIDEO: Unboxing the Amazon Fire TV "The first incident was in Japan on March 19, followed by similar incidents on March 30 in Hong Kong and April 8 in China," the Journal reported , noting that Sony stopped selling the laptop at the beginning of this month.