June 19, 2008 |
Four Ohio parents have filed a federal lawsuit against makers of baby bottles, claiming the bottles were made with a harmful chemical that sparked congressional hearings and prompted the world's largest retailer to phase out the products. The complaint filed last week in U.S. District Court alleges the companies knew that bisphenol A was associated with health problems but didn't disclose the risk. It cites scientific studies concluding that BPA, as the chemical is also known, seeps from bottles and sippy-cups into liquid.
November 11, 2009 |
Exposure to high levels of bisphenol A, or BPA, appears to cause erectile dysfunction and other sexual problems in men, according to a new study by the Kaiser Foundation Research Institute. Funded by the federal government and published in the journal Human Reproduction, the study is the first to examine the impact of BPA on the reproductive systems of men. Previous studies have involved mice or rats. BPA is found in thousands of consumer products, including dental sealants and canned food linings, and has been detected in the urine of 93% of Americans tested.
August 8, 2007
Re "Scientists issue group warning on plastic chemical's hazards," Aug. 3 Reading the comments of Steve Hentges of the American Chemistry Council's polycarbonate/BPA group gave me a profound feeling of deja vu. Hentges' denigration of scientific evidence of the probable health dangers of bisphenol A (BPA) echoed the comments, over years, of "scientists" from the tobacco industry denigrating scientific findings of tobacco's health risks.
May 3, 2005 |
Male babies exposed in the womb to chemicals that mimic estrogen -- compounds found in birth control pills and some plastics -- are at risk of being born with deformities in their prostate and urethra that may lead to diseases in adulthood, a new study of lab animals has shown. Some researchers say the wider use of the chemicals may have contributed to a surge in prostate cancer in the last two decades, particularly in men under 65.
June 27, 2005 |
Even amid the growing barrage of presumably well-intentioned health warnings now flying around cyberspace, this one is a doozy. It warns that microwaving food in plastic containers releases dioxin, a carcinogen, or cancer-causing agent. The e-mail notes that the warning about dioxin had been sent out in a newsletter from Johns Hopkins, the esteemed medical institution in Baltimore, and that similar information is "being circulated" at Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington, D.C.
February 23, 2011 |
The feds are spending $30 million to discover the potential health risks of the controversial chemical bisphenol A, or BPA. They could just have asked Maine Gov. Paul LePage. The state's top official told the Bangor Daily News in an interview last week: "The only thing that I’ve heard is if you take a plastic bottle and put it in the microwave and you heat it up, it gives off a chemical similar to estrogen. So the worst case is some women may have little beards. " There's more to it than that.
April 17, 2007 |
Federal officials have fired a consulting company that was responsible for reviewing the dangers of chemicals for a government health institute while also working for chemical companies. Sciences International of Alexandria, Va., had been a major contractor for the Center for the Evaluation of Risks to Human Reproduction for eight years. The federal center is responsible for determining which chemicals can harm human reproduction or fetal development.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
January 20, 2006 |
A controversial Assembly bill that would have banned two toxic compounds in plastic baby products died Thursday after supporters could not round up enough support from members of the Appropriations Committee.
October 11, 2010 |
Our modern-day environment is loaded with man-made chemicals. We breath car exhaust, gasoline fumes and secondhand smoke, and we eat food laced with pesticides and plasticizers and cooked in pans with nonstick coatings. We use cosmetics on our skin, cleaning products in our houses and lawn products in our yards. We decorate our homes and clothe our kids with flame-retardant fabrics. And we drink municipal water that contains traces of pharmaceuticals and other chemicals. What's the health fallout of this?
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
August 19, 2008 |
Assembly Speaker Karen Bass, widely known as a nice person, flexed some muscle Monday: She punished the sole Assembly Democrat who refused to vote Sunday evening for a state spending plan drafted by fellow Democrats. Bass (D-Los Angeles) ordered Assemblywoman Nicole Parra of Hanford out of her fifth-floor Capitol office and into an office building across the street where legislative staffers work. "They wanted us to have everything packed up by 4 p.m.," said Parra's chief of staff, Derek Chernow, as he ripped packing tape to seal a box of office supplies.