YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsBlaze


July 31, 1985 | United Press International
A five-alarm fire possibly caused by an electrical malfunction destroyed a section of the Arlington Park Race Track early today, forcing suspension of racing but causing no injuries. The fire apparently broke out in the clubhouse section, then spread to the first level of the five-story grandstand, which was built in 1927. The closest stables are 500 yards away and horses were never in danger. The track hosts the Budweiser Million, one of thoroughbred racing's richest races.
November 16, 2010 | By David Pierson, Los Angeles Times, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
Police detained eight unlicensed welders Tuesday in connection with Monday's deadly apartment fire in Shanghai that left 53 people dead and at least 70 injured, city officials said. Investigators believe that the welders may have been using their equipment improperly, sparking a blaze that engulfed a 28-story building in the heart of the sprawling Chinese metropolis. About 17 people remain in critical condition, said Shanghai Deputy Mayor Shen Jun. Family members were reportedly scouring local hospitals for any information on missing loved ones, and aiming their frustration at authorities.
February 22, 2008 | Ari B. Bloomekatz
The 17-year-old boy who set fire to Garfield High School's auditorium was sentenced to six months in juvenile camp and ordered to pay partial restitution, authorities said. The youth, who was not named because he is a minor, will also be placed on probation and ordered to stay away from the school as part of Wednesday's conviction and sentencing. The freshman set fire to the auditorium May 20. The blaze caused $30 million in damage. Built in 1925, the auditorium was an East Los Angeles landmark.
February 3, 2008 | From Times Wire Services
A TV station and a cameraman accused of getting in the way of people fleeing the nightclub fire that killed 100 people have reached a tentative $30-million settlement with survivors and victims' relatives, station officials said. It is the largest settlement of several reached so far with the dozens of people and companies who sued over the Feb. 20, 2003, fire at the Station nightclub in West Warwick. The blaze began when pyrotechnics ignited soundproofing foam around the stage.
February 11, 1985 | United Press International
A fire ripped through a rooming house above a bar early today, killing at least four people, including a man who ignored firefighters' pleas to wait for help and jumped to his death, officials said.
November 29, 1987
Fire destroyed the newly remodeled Food Fair building in Temple City early Saturday, causing an estimated $2.8 million in damage, authorities said. About 45 firefighters battled the flames in the market at Las Tunas Drive and Temple City Boulevard, Los Angeles County Fire Department Inspector Chuck Gutierrez said. The blaze broke out shortly after 3 a.m. and was burning through the attic and roof shortly after firefighters arrived. No injuries were reported.
March 8, 2008 | From Times Wire Reports
Two firefighters died and three others were injured in Salisbury while battling a fire that destroyed Salisbury Millworks, a woodworking company. "It's a deeply sad day in Salisbury today," Fire Chief Bob Parnell said. "We lost two excellent firefighters" -- Justin Monroe, 19, and Victor Isler, 40. "They are our friends, brothers and buddies. We're a close, tight-knit group and every member is hurting." Salisbury is about 40 miles from Charlotte.
June 30, 1997 | From Times Staff and Wire Reports
The Oyster Bar at the Grand Central Terminal, a landmark known to generations of commuters and seafood lovers, was gutted by fire. The fire appeared to start in a refrigeration unit about 2:30 a.m., officials said. It took two hours to bring under control. The restaurant was destroyed, and the terminal briefly evacuated. Fourteen people--nine firefighters, a police officer and four civilians--suffered minor injuries, firefighter Tim Murphy said. The restaurant was closed at the time.
July 27, 2010 | By Esmeralda Bermudez, Los Angeles Times
Jaime Buenrostro was in his kitchen after 6 a.m. Monday when he heard the desperate screams from the auto repair building behind his Boyle Heights home. Several people, who reportedly lived inside the business, were trapped. "It's burning!" they yelled in Spanish. "Help. Help. Get us out of here!" He raced to the Whittier Boulevard shop to find it engulfed in smoke. His wife, Ana, called 911 as he and his son-in-law fought to open a sliding gate on the structure's north end. They doused the gate with water, but it only grew hotter.
Los Angeles Times Articles