Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsBoards Of Education
IN THE NEWS

Boards Of Education

CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
April 11, 2012 | By Howard Blume, Los Angeles Times
Miramonte Elementary, the school beset this year by misconduct charges against two teachers, will have a new center next fall for parents to take classes and hold meetings. The $143,535 project to relocate and update the center won unanimous approval Tuesday from the Los Angeles Board of Education. The upgrade at Miramonte, which is in unincorporated Florence-Firestone, is part of a $20-million districtwide plan authorized last year. Miramonte burst into the news in February with the arrest of Mark Berndt, who has pleaded not guilty to 23 counts of lewd conduct, including allegations that he photographed blindfolded students being spoon fed his semen.
Advertisement
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
March 7, 2012 | By Stephen Ceasar, Los Angeles Times
Los Angeles Board of Education districts would remain largely the same under a new proposed map, except for one area that was created to increase the likelihood of a third Latino board member. The panel charged with drawing proposed districts for the seven-member school board approved its final report this week; the issue now goes before a City Council committee. The effort, however, was not without controversy. The L.A. Unified Redistricting Commission voted 12 to 3 to support the final report.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
January 6, 2012 | By Dennis McLellan, Los Angeles Times
Robert L. Carter, who as an NAACP civil rights attorney was an architect of the legal strategy used in the cases that led to Brown vs. Board of Education, the landmark 1954 Supreme Court decision that declared school segregation unconstitutional, has died. He was 94. Carter, a former U.S. district judge for the southern district of New York, died Tuesday in a hospital in Manhattan after suffering a stroke last week, said his son David. With law degrees from Howard University School of Law and Columbia Law School, where he wrote his master's thesis on the 1st Amendment, Carter initially considered an academic career.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
July 14, 2011 | By Teresa Watanabe, Los Angeles Times
After months of controversy, the state Board of Education set out a clear road map Wednesday to allow parents unparalleled rights to force major changes at low-performing schools. The board approved regulations clarifying the "Parent Trigger" law — the first in the nation to give parents the right to petition for new staff, management and programs at their children's schools. Organizations representing parents, teachers, school districts and other parties overcame sharp differences to reach consensus on such contentious issues as how to draw up petitions, verify parent signatures and ensure public disclosure about the petition process.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
June 10, 2011 | By Rong-Gong Lin II and David Zahniser, Los Angeles Times
City and county government leaders will soon be drawing new election districts too — but they will be doing it the old-fashioned way. Local politicians will still have final say in mapping the areas in which candidates must live before seeking seats on the Los Angeles City Council, the county Board of Supervisors and the Board of Education for the Los Angeles Unified School District. At City Hall, officials will appoint committees to do the heavy work of drawing the new boundaries, which will account for any shifts in population based on the new national census.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
May 24, 2011
Bill Summers He helped build racer that set speed record Bill Summers, 75, who with his brother Bob built a four-engine racer called Goldenrod that in 1965 set a speed record for wheel-driven cars, died May 12 at his home in Ontario of natural causes, said his daughter, Maggie Peace. Goldenrod streaked across the Bonneville Salt Flats in Utahon Nov. 12, 1965, at an average top speed during two runs of 409.277 mph. The record was later broken. Bob Summers, who drove the car, died in 1992.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
March 6, 2011 | By Howard Blume, Los Angeles Times
L.A. Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa knew exactly whom to alert last year when he wanted his nonprofit group to win control of a low-performing new elementary school in Watts. After all, a majority of the seven-member Board of Education was elected with the help of his substantial campaign fundraising. FOR THE RECORD: L.A. school board elections: An article in the March 6 LATExtra section about Los Angeles Board of Education elections referred to Florence Griffith Joyner Elementary as a new school.
NATIONAL
February 15, 2011 | By Nicholas Riccardi, Los Angeles Times
Douglas County, a swath of subdivisions just south of here that is one of the nation's wealthiest, is something of a public school paradise. The K-12 district, with 60,000 students, boasts high test scores and a strong graduation rate. Surveys show that 90% of its parents are satisfied with their children's schools. That makes the Douglas County School District an unlikely frontier in the latest battle over school vouchers. But a new, conservative school board is exploring a voucher system to give parents ?
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
February 10, 2011 | By Teresa Watanabe, Los Angeles Times
The state Board of Education, in its first full meeting with a majority of members appointed by Gov. Jerry Brown, moved Wednesday to put the brakes on a landmark law that gives parents the right to force major reforms at low-performing schools. The board took no action on proposed regulations to implement the law but instead will set up a working group to help determine the procedures. The panel will include those who had complained that the previous board was rushing the process without sufficiently considering their input.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
February 1, 2011 | By Howard Blume, Los Angeles Times
Leaders of the Los Angeles teachers union withdrew their backing of two school board candidates Monday, leaving their political strategy in disarray while boosting the efforts of Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa to maintain an allied majority on the Board of Education. Under the union pressure, one candidate abandoned the race while the other vowed to continue. Jesus Escandon signed a letter dated Saturday saying that he was dropping out effective immediately. John Fernandez has refused to step aside in the only contest without an incumbent, resulting in a union rebuke.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|