Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsBody Armor
IN THE NEWS

Body Armor

WORLD
January 12, 2006 | From Times Wire Reports
Maj. Gen. Jeffrey Sorenson said the Army planned to distribute 230,000 side armor inserts to troops in Iraq this year, amid criticism that upgrades to body armor have been delayed. The Marines said they were already delivering the inserts. Last year, the Armed Forces Medical Examiner found that 80% of the Marines who died of torso wounds from March 2003 to June 2005 in Iraq might have lived if their vests had contained additional protection for the sides, arms and neck.
Advertisement
BUSINESS
July 4, 2006 | From Bloomberg News
Ceradyne Inc., a maker of lightweight ceramic body armor, received a five-year U.S. Army contract worth as much as $611.7 million for insert panels to protect soldiers' sides. Its shares surged $3.20 to $52.69. The Army's Aberdeen Proving Ground in Maryland put in an initial delivery order worth $59.8 million, Ceradyne said in a statement. The company expects to receive the next order late this year.
NATIONAL
January 29, 2009 | Associated Press
Army Secretary Pete Geren has ordered the recall of more than 16,000 sets of body armor after an audit concluded the vests' bullet-blocking plates had failed testing and might not provide soldiers with adequate protection. The audit by the office of the Defense Department inspector general, not yet made public but obtained by the Associated Press, faults the Army for flawed testing procedures. In a letter dated Jan.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
March 11, 1999
Rap music star Russell Jones, popularly known as ODB of the Wu-Tang Clan, pleaded not guilty Wednesday to charges he violated a new California law prohibiting violent felons from wearing body armor. Jones, 29, whose stage nickname stands for Ol' Dirty Bastard, was convicted of felonious second-degree assault in 1993 in connection with an attack on a man in a bar in Richmond, N.Y. He was stopped by police in Hollywood on Feb. 16 for a traffic violation.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
September 10, 2005 | Richard Winton, Times Staff Writer
Under a settlement approved Friday by the Los Angeles City Council, a Japanese textile maker whose ballistic material was used in allegedly ineffective body armor sold to the LAPD has agreed to pay the city between $647,000 and $1.3 million to resolve a class-action lawsuit. The payout is part of a $29-million settlement by Tyoba Co. Ltd. with police departments and officers nationwide.
NATIONAL
December 11, 2003 | From Associated Press
State officials on Wednesday sued a manufacturer of bulletproof vests used by police, saying the vests were defective and endangered officers. The vests are woven with a synthetic fiber known as Zylon, which has been shown to weaken earlier than expected. Their durability was called into question in June, when an undercover Pittsburgh officer was hurt when a bullet pierced his vest. Connecticut's lawsuit against Second Chance Body Armor Inc. demands refunds for the vests.
NATIONAL
March 11, 2004 | Scott Gold, Times Staff Writer
The manufacturer of a synthetic fiber used inside bulletproof vests said Wednesday that its product had withstood a series of grueling tests, suggesting it was not to blame for the allegedly defective protective gear worn by thousands of police officers nationwide. Toyobo Co., the Japanese firm that makes Zylon -- a fiber used inside more than 100 brands of bulletproof vests and body armor -- said it had completed a study of the material's strength.
NATIONAL
February 9, 2006 | From Associated Press
A former soldier injured in Iraq is getting a refund after being forced to pay for his missing body armor vest, which medics destroyed because it was soaked with his blood, officials said Wednesday. First Lt. William "Eddie" Rebrook IV, 25, had to leave the Army with a shrapnel injury to his arm. But before he could be discharged last week, he said, he had to scrounge cash from his buddies to pay $632 for the body armor and other gear he had lost.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
March 9, 1999
Rap singer Russell Jones, who was allegedly involved in a shootout with New York police in January, will be arraigned Wednesday in what may be the first prosecution under a new California law prohibiting the use of body armor by violent felons. The Los Angeles County district attorney's office says that Jones--who performs with the Wu-Tang Clan under the name of ODB--was convicted of felonious second-degree assault in 1993 in connection with an attack on a man in a bar in Richmond, N.Y.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
February 25, 1999 | MIGUEL BUSTILLO and SUE FOX and PATRICK McGREEVY, TIMES STAFF WRITERS
Any politician worth his shiny wingtips and dark blue suits dreams of that magical moment when the planets come into alignment and the tough-on-crime law he wrote snares him the mother lode of publicity. Thanks to a bad-boy rapper with one of the lengthiest rap sheets in the business, Assemblyman Scott Wildman (D-Burbank) came close to that elusive jackpot last week. But close is as far as he got--and he said that's fine by him, as long as the fruits of his labor get notice.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|