February 9, 2006 |
A court charged a former minister in the Bosnian Serb government with helping war crimes fugitives, abuse of office, fraud and participating in organized crime. The Bosnian court filed 14 charges against Momcilo Mandic, who had served in the government of Bosnian Serb leader Radovan Karadzic during the 1992-95 war in Bosnia. Karadzic has been indicted by a U.N. war crimes tribunal but remains a fugitive.
February 4, 2006 |
A Bosnian Serb war crimes suspect captured last month in a shootout that killed his wife was released from custody. Dragomir Abazovic was charged two years ago with war crimes from the 1992-95 Bosnian conflict, during which he served in the Bosnian Serb army. But Bosnia's State Court ruled that Abazovic should be freed because that indictment was issued by a regional court before new laws transferred jurisdiction for all war crimes cases to the State Court.
January 19, 2006 |
Bosnian Serb police launched a dawn search operation in an eastern Bosnian region often reported to be a hide-out of top Bosnian Serb war crimes suspect Ratko Mladic, a spokesman said. Police spokesman Radovan Pejic said officers were searching the area near the eastern town of Zepa. Mladic was last reported seen in an underground bunker at Han Pijesak, the wartime base nearby, in mid-2003.
December 15, 2005 |
Major Western powers named former German Cabinet minister Christian Schwarz-Schilling to oversee peace in Bosnia, and made a new call for the arrest of fugitive war crimes suspects a decade after the Balkans war ended. Schwarz-Schilling, 75, will replace British politician Paddy Ashdown, who is stepping down in January as high representative of Bosnia-Herzegovina after more than three years.
November 23, 2005 |
Leaders of Bosnia-Herzegovina's three major ethnic factions agreed to consolidate power in a stronger national government, a decade after the end of their civil war. U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice heralded the accord struck in Washington, which calls for a new constitution by March. The 1995 agreement signed in Dayton, Ohio, ended the civil war only by allowing Serbs, Croats and Muslims to preside over separate political spheres.
October 27, 2005
A Bosnian Croat accused of leading a 1993 attack on a Bosnian Muslim village in which at least 16 civilians were killed pleaded guilty at The Hague war crimes tribunal. Former militia commander Ivica Rajic pleaded guilty to four of 10 counts, including willful killing and wanton destruction. Prosecutors and defense lawyers agreed to recommend a single sentence of 12 to 15 years.
October 23, 2005 |
ONE episode from her radio reporting career that Kitty Felde couldn't shake was a tale of atrocity and remorse told by the Bosnian Serb Drazen Erdemovic. In 1996, the host of KPCC-FM's "Talk of the City" was in the Hague covering the U.N. war crimes tribunal trying cases from the Bosnian civil war. But after she saw Erdemovic sentenced to 10 years in prison for his part in the Srebrenica massacre, she felt she had to bring his story to her other longtime medium, the stage.
September 14, 2005 |
A top Bosnian Serb war crimes suspect surrendered to Serbian authorities in Bosnia-Herzegovina, a government official said. Sredoje Lukic was indicted by the war crimes tribunal in The Hague in 2000 on charges of crimes against humanity, said Rasim Ljajic, a Serbia and Montenegro official. He was a member of a paramilitary group accused of ordering and committing executions in eastern Bosnia, according to the war crimes indictment.
July 20, 2005 |
A former Bosnian Croat special forces soldier pleaded guilty to war crimes at the Yugoslav tribunal as part of a deal with prosecutors. Miroslav Bralo, 37, confessed to rape, torture, murder and using prisoners as human shields to protect Bosnian Croat soldiers from sniper fire. Bralo was a member of a unit responsible for attacks on Bosnian Muslim villages in the Lasva Valley of central Bosnia-Herzegovina in 1993.
July 11, 2005 |
In late afternoon, the three women rest on a tattered blanket, tired from chores that are now theirs alone to bear in this village without men. They are survivors of the Srebrenica massacre that began July 11, 1995, when Bosnian Serb troops stormed the U.N.-declared "safe haven" and took away their husbands and fathers, brothers and sons. Over the next eight days in the nearby hills, the Serbs killed as many as 8,000 Muslim men and boys, the worst massacre in Europe since World War II.