YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsBrain Dead

Brain Dead

December 24, 2013 | By Jason Wells
An Alameda County judge on Tuesday declared a 13-year-old Oakland girl brain-dead due to complications from a tonsillectomy earlier this month, but ordered her kept on life support until next Monday. Superior Court Judge Evelio Grillo told relatives of Jahi McMath that until then, they can file an appeal to his decision. Soon after Jahi had tonsils removed at  Children's Hospital & Research Center Oakland on Dec. 9, the eighth-grader went into cardiac arrest and the flow of oxygen to her brain was cut off.   She was declared brain-dead after three tests showed there was no "cerebral activity," according to court records.
December 20, 2013 | By Jason Wells and Ashley Powers
A judge has ordered an Oakland hospital not to remove from life support a 13-year-old girl who became brain dead after having her tonsils removed. The girl's family had requested that she remain on life support. At a hearing Friday, both sides agreed to keep Jahi McMath on a ventilator while they chose a neurologist to further examine her, the Associated Press reported . Another hearing was set for Monday. Doctors at Children's Hospital & Research Center Oakland had performed a tonsillectomy on Jahi on Dec. 9, hoping to cure her sleep apnea, weight gain and other afflictions. But soon after her surgery, the girl's condition quickly deteriorated, her family said.
August 9, 1999 | From a Times staff writer
Sunny Elijah Peralez, the 8-year-old boy shot in the head as he stood just inside the door of a South-Central Los Angeles residence, was declared brain dead Sunday afternoon, doctors said. The victim of what police called a gang-related drive-by shooting was being kept on life support at County-USC Medical Center, a hospital spokeswoman said. The boy had accompanied his mother Friday from their north Long Beach home to attend a cousin's baby shower at a triplex in the 2100 block of Adair Street.
November 11, 1985 | CYNTHIA ROBERTS, Associated Press
Pelle Lindbergh of the Philadelphia Flyers, the top goaltender in the National Hockey League last season, was brain dead Sunday, hours after his sports car failed to make a turn and slammed into a cement wall. The 26-year-old Lindbergh was being kept alive by a respirator at the John F. Kennedy Hospital-Stratford Division, said Flyer spokesman Rodger Gottlieb. Dr.
May 20, 2003 | Kimi Yoshino, Times Staff Writer
A stage technician at Disney's California Adventure who fell last month while testing the magic carpet special effect for the Aladdin show has been declared brain dead, and his organs were to be donated late Monday. After a neurological review, doctors declared Christopher Bowman, 26, legally brain dead Sunday afternoon. He was to be kept on a ventilator until the donations were completed, said Kim Pine, spokeswoman at UC Irvine Medical Center in Orange.
January 11, 1992
A 3-month-old Pico Rivera boy was declared brain dead Friday by doctors at a Long Beach hospital, and his parents are expected to face criminal charges. As of midday, the infant remained hooked to life-support systems at Long Beach Memorial Medical Center, said hospital spokeswoman Beverly Harmeir. The child's parents, Elizabeth Madrid, 18, and Edward Saavedra, 20, were being held without bail.
June 24, 1997
A 23-year-old Pasadena man was declared brain dead Monday after he was shot as he drove along Arroyo Parkway near Old Pasadena, police said. Detectives are investigating the shooting of Robert De La Riva as a murder. He was critically wounded by a passenger in another car at a traffic light on northbound Arroyo Parkway between California Boulevard and Cordova Street just after 3 a.m. Sunday, said Pasadena Police Cmdr. Mary Schander.
November 12, 2004 | From Associated Press
A man who was shot in the head by police as he held a Mexican Consulate employee hostage has been declared brain dead, the Los Angeles County coroner's office said Thursday. The 19-year-old man, who has been identified as Manuel Jubenal Ortiz-Gonzalez of Jalisco, Mexico, was examined by two doctors who made the determination, according to Betsy Magdaleno, a coroner's office investigator. Los Angeles police spokeswoman Kathy Simpson said the case was still being investigated.
November 2, 1991 | From Associated Press
John McKeel Jr., one of 52 Americans held hostage after the 1979 seizure of the U.S. Embassy in Iran, was gravely wounded Friday in a struggle with an armed robber, authorities said. McKeel, 38, was shot twice in the head in the confrontation. He was rushed to Victor Valley Community Hospital in Victorville, where he was declared brain dead, said Police Sgt. Dave Gundersen. A medical team was on its way to the hospital Friday to remove his organs for transplant, he said.
Los Angeles Times Articles