March 3, 2007 |
Boeing Co. said Friday that it had resumed early steps toward shutting the production line for its C-17 Air Force transport plane in Long Beach because of a lack of new orders. In a repeat of last summer, Boeing said it had begun telling suppliers to stop producing parts for the C-17, the last of which would roll out of the Long Beach factory in mid-2009 unless further orders were placed for the four-engine jet. It takes about 34 months from the production of the first part to final assembly.
September 23, 2006 |
A congressional plan to add $2.1 billion to the defense budget to buy 10 more C-17 transport planes could help extend the life of the aircraft's production line in Long Beach beyond 2010, Boeing Co.'s top defense executive said. The funding could provide Boeing with a much-needed reprieve from having to shut the line sooner, James Albaugh, president of Boeing's Integrated Defense Systems unit, said in an interview Friday.
September 21, 2006 |
A federal audit agency said Wednesday that a Pentagon study used to justify shuttering the C-17 aircraft line in Long Beach was flawed and cautioned Congress about relying on the report to decide the cargo jet's fate. In a scathing analysis that could breathe new life into the program, the General Accountability Office said the results of the study were based on questionable assumptions and data that could not be verified.
August 19, 2006 |
Boeing Co. said Friday that it had taken the first steps toward closing its sprawling C-17 assembly plant in Long Beach, a shutdown that is expected to be completed by the middle of 2009 unless substantial new orders are placed for the giant military aircraft. Closing the plant, which employs about 5,500 workers, would deprive Long Beach of its largest private employer and deal a blow to hundreds of subcontractors in Southern California and around the nation that supply parts for the C-17.
January 7, 2006 |
Pentagon officials have begun the formal process to end Boeing Co.'s production of C-17 cargo jets in Long Beach by 2008, despite congressional lobbying to keep the assembly line open. In a classified Pentagon budget request last week, Deputy Defense Secretary Gordon England officially asked for $265 million in next year's budget to mothball the tools and machinery used to produce the four-engine cargo jets.
December 14, 2005 |
The Air Force doesn't want to expand its fleet of C-17 transport jets beyond the 180 it currently operates or has on order, Air Force Secretary Michael Wynne said Tuesday. The Air Force accepts the findings of a Defense Department review of military mobility that concluded the Air Force has adequate transport aircraft and the Navy has enough fast sealift vessels with the current planned inventory to deploy ground units in a timely manner, Wynne said.