CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
October 2, 2009 |
A second member of the commission that regulates boxing and mixed martial arts has resigned within a week. Howard Rose, a Beverly Hills talent agent who also has worked as a boxing promoter, notified state Senate leader Darrell Steinberg (D-Sacramento) in a letter Tuesday that he is stepping down from the California State Athletic Commission immediately. Last week, the commission's chairman, Timothy Noonan, submitted his resignation to Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger. The resignations follow articles in The Times that detailed how commissioners obtained free admission for themselves, relatives, friends and associates to events they regulate.
August 13, 1991 |
Lightweight Mauro Gutierrez of Mexico has turned down an offer of $17,000 from promoter Dan Goossen to fight Rafael Ruelas of Reseda on the undercard of the Terry Norris-Brett Lally bout at the San Diego Sports Arena Saturday night. Ruelas, who was knocked out by Gutierrez July 30 in Reseda, was given a special waiver for a rematch with Gutierrez (45-15) by the California State Athletic Commission.
October 11, 2000 |
Boxing promoter Bob Arum, who admitted in a New Jersey courtroom that he'd made illegal payments to a sanctioning body, has reached an agreement with representatives of the California State Athletic Commission on disciplinary action. If the California commission, meeting Thursday in closed session at Sacramento, approves the deal, Arum will be fined $2,500, the maximum allowed under California law, and will be put on probation for the rest of the year.
August 2, 1994
In the news: Jay Leno, on Ford Motor Co. announcing record profits for the second quarter: "I guess they sold a lot of cars. And I'm sure that two-hour Ford Bronco commercial didn't hurt either." Leno, on Robert Shapiro's reprimand from the California State Athletic Commission for sparring with a professional fighter: "I say leave well enough alone. Let him do it. Who wouldn't pay big money to see a pro boxer just beat the hell out of a lawyer?"
March 23, 2012 |
TUCSON, Ariz. -- Disgraced and disfigured former world welterweight champion Antonio Margarito said Friday night that he wants to face box-office darling Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. in September. Margarito was at the Casino Del Sol in support of his brother-in-law Hanzel Martinez, who knocked out Jose Miguel Tamayo in one round. “I've been told I could fight on May 26 here in Tucson,” Margarito said. “But if it's in June, that's fine, because it's in September that we're going to fight [Chavez]
November 30, 2011 |
Reporting from New York — At this point, Antonio Margarito realizes he's not going to change anyone's opinion about whether he knew there was plaster inside his hand wraps before a title fight in 2009 — which led to him being suspended from boxing. If fans wants to think of him as a "criminal," as his Saturday-night opponent Miguel Cotto does, then so be it. "Here comes a criminal, open the doors for the criminal," Margarito said Wednesday, his first words upon being introduced at a Madison Square Garden news conference for his junior-middleweight title bout against Cotto.