February 9, 2014 |
Tens of thousands of Pennsylvanians began a fifth day without power Sunday as emergency crews worked through freezing temperatures to clear debris and downed power lines from roads. Also Sunday, a tour bus crashed in rural southern Pennsylvania, sending 27 people to hospitals in Pennsylvania and Maryland, a Bedford County emergency dispatcher told the Los Angeles Times. It was unknown whether there were fatalities. Twelve people were taken to a "safety area" to be picked up by the tour bus company, said the dispatcher, who said he was not authorized to identify himself or the company.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
December 12, 2013 |
Even though temperatures throughout most of the Southland on Thursday were warmer than earlier in the week, Los Angeles County's top health officer extended a cold weather alert for the San Fernando and Antelope valleys. The alert comes as forecasts for those areas show wind chill temperatures could be below freezing. The alert for the Antelope Valley lasts from Thursday through Sunday. In the San Fernando Valley, the alert covers Thursday through Saturday. "We also want to remind people not to use stoves, barbecues or ovens to heat their homes due to the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning," Jonathan E. Fielding, the county's director of public health, said in a statement.
April 2, 2013 |
Shain Gandee, one of the stars of MTV's reality show, "Buckwild" may have been found dead on Monday morning and production of the show's second season may be suspended, but his Twitter account continues. Gandee, 21, was discovered in a truck on Monday near Sissonville, W.Va., on Monday, along with the bodies of his uncle David Gandee, 48, and friend David Robert Myers, 27. The vehicle was discovered partially submerged in a mud pit. Though no official cause of death has been released, authorities told the Associated Press that no foul play was suspected.
February 9, 2013 |
A 14-year-old Massachusetts boy died Saturday of carbon monoxide poisoning after warming himself in a running car while his father shoveled snow. Boston's mayor promptly issued a new warning of the perils associated with the massive Northeast blizzard. The boy had been helping his dad shovel snow Saturday near the family's sedan, and hopped into the running car to warm up, Boston fire spokesman Steve MacDonald told The Times. But a mound of snow had blocked the exhaust pipe, preventing the poisonous carbon monoxide from escaping, MacDonald said.
February 9, 2013 |
BOSTON - The snow fell and fell, and when it stopped, New Englanders climbed out of their homes, got out their shovels, and started digging out from one of the biggest blizzards in a generation. By the time the sun peeked out of the clouds Saturday afternoon, the winter storm had dumped more than 2 feet of snow in cities across the Northeast, forced evacuations in some coastal communities, contributed to more than half a million customers losing power across six states and grounded thousands of flights.
October 11, 2009 |
Two people who died after sitting for hours in an Arizona spiritual resort's sauna-like sweat lodge were identified Saturday as a 40-year-old Wisconsin man and a 38-year-old New York woman. James Shore of Milwaukee and Kirby Brown of Westtown, N.Y., died Thursday night after being overcome in a sweat lodge during a spiritual cleansing ceremony. Nineteen others were taken to area hospitals, suffering from burns, dehydration, respiratory arrest, kidney failure or elevated body temperature.