CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
November 27, 1989 |
Very low levels of carbon monoxide, such as those found in a roomful of cigarette smokers, can trigger potentially hazardous oxygen shortages in people with heart disease, according to Dr. Thomas E. Dahms of the St. Louis University School of Medicine. The problems were seen at levels of carbon monoxide that are considered safe by federal air quality standards, Dahms reported last week in the New England Journal of Medicine.
October 20, 2004 |
Three generations of a Staten Island family, including an Albanian pop singer, died after they were overcome by carbon monoxide fumes as they slept, officials said. Hazabije Bitri, 60, her daughter, Anita Bitri-Prapaniku, 36, and Bitri-Prapaniku's daughter, Sibora, 7, were found dead in their beds in a back bedroom on the second floor of the home.
September 1, 1998 |
Carbon monoxide leaking from a water heater in a hotel converted into a dormitory apparently killed a South Carolina State University student, school officials said. Stephen A. Woolridge, 19, of Latta, was found dead Saturday night in his dorm room. An autopsy found "carbon monoxide-like symptoms were present," according to the school's statement Sunday. Other students complained of dizziness and headaches, university spokeswoman Cheryl Bates-Lee said.
August 28, 2006 |
Five people were found dead inside a southwest Miami-Dade County home, probably victims of carbon monoxide poisoning, police said. The body of a woman was found in a vehicle running in the garage, police said. Officers found the bodies of two children and two adults inside the home. Police were investigating whether the deaths were accidental or a murder-suicide.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
September 22, 1994 |
Three men killed in a Rincon oil field accident died from inhaling carbon monoxide, not hydrogen sulfide as initially believed, according to final toxicology results made public Wednesday. Deputy Coroner Jim Wingate said lab analyses showed that workers Ronald Johnson, Jason Hoskins and Sean Harris had high levels of carbon monoxide in their blood. Wingate said no other toxic gases were detected by the Ventura County sheriff's crime lab or the Chemical Toxicology Institute in Foster City, Calif.
June 10, 1987 |
Twenty-six people were taken to local hospitals for examination Tuesday after being exposed to carbon monoxide gas leaking from a vegetable processing plant just north of here, officials said. The leak at the Bud of California plant occurred when a mechanic left a hose disconnected on a 700-cubic-foot tank of compressed carbon monoxide, said Capt. Mike Vindhurst of the North Monterey County Fire Department.
July 8, 1987 |
Eight people found dead at a Memphis apartment complex were killed by carbon monoxide from a hot water heater that was spread by an air conditioner, authorities said Tuesday. The six teen-agers and two adults, discovered by a visitor Monday night, had been dead about 12 hours before their bodies were found, said police spokesman Dan Chalk, quoting the Shelby County medical examiner. "He put the cause of death as . . . acute carbon monoxide poisoning," Chalk said.
November 14, 2007 |
Target Corp. said Tuesday that it was working to add labels that warn consumers when meat was treated with carbon monoxide to make those steaks and chops look fresh as federal regulators faced criticism for allowing a practice that critics call unsafe. Hormel Foods Corp. and Cargill Inc. also announced they would be willing to add similar labeling if necessary.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
October 12, 2007 |
A family of four was taken to the hospital Thursday morning, suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning after the father lighted their furnace for the first time, authorities said. Firefighters responded about 3:05 a.m. to an apartment complex at 12255 W. Burbank Blvd. A man, 37; a woman, 36; and two girls, 11 and 1, were taken to Providence Saint Joseph Medical Center in Burbank in serious but stable condition, a fire official said.