Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsCarbon Monoxide
IN THE NEWS

Carbon Monoxide

CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
May 3, 1999
Carbon monoxide is produced by burning any fuel. Therefore, any fuel-burning appliance in your home is a potential CO source. When appliances are kept in good working condition, they produce little carbon monoxide. Improperly operating appliances can produce fatal concentrations in your home. Likewise, using charcoal indoors or running a car in a garage can cause CO poisoning. SYMPTOMS OF CO POISONING The initial symptoms of CO poisoning are similar to the flu (but without the fever).
Advertisement
NEWS
August 20, 1994 | KAY SAILLANT, SPECIAL TO THE TIMES
Three workers killed in a Ventura County oil rig accident last week died after inhaling toxic levels of carbon monoxide gas, the Ventura County coroner's office said Friday. Investigators originally suspected that the workers were killed by breathing lethal doses of hydrogen sulfide, a colorless gas sometimes found in oil fields.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
February 10, 1995
Investigators were awaiting autopsy results Thursday in the apparent carbon monoxide poisoning death in a Mammoth Lakes ski resort of an FBI agent from Santa Clarita, authorities said Thursday. Special Agent Walter Weber, 42, was pronounced dead Sunday after he was found lying in his room at the North Village Inn. His wife, Molly Smith Weber, 36, vice president for college textbook publishing at Houghton Mifflin Co.
NEWS
March 3, 2001 | From Associated Press
The Coast Guard has issued a mandatory nationwide recall for houseboats with rear exhaust vents that have been linked to more than 100 carbon monoxide poisonings and at least seven deaths in Arizona. Coast Guard spokesman James O'Dell said at least 500 of the vessels, and perhaps thousands, could be recalled.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
December 3, 2005 | Rong-Gong Lin II, Times Staff Writer
A 6-year-old Paramount girl was in critical condition Friday night after she and her family suffered carbon monoxide poisoning, possibly from a faulty heater that had been turned on for the first time this season, a hospital spokeswoman said. The girl, identified as Kalonni Williams, was in the intensive care unit at Miller Children's Hospital in Long Beach. Her 15-year-old brother, Montice Williams, was in fair condition at the same facility, said hospital spokeswoman Colleen Reinhart.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
May 28, 1997
Autopsies confirmed Tuesday that carbon monoxide fumes killed three children as they slept in the back of their parents' pickup truck on the way home from a family trip to Northern California, authorities said. The deaths have been ruled accidental, coroner's spokesman Scott Carrier said. The parents, Estela Aguilar and Rolando Juarez of Hollywood, thought the children were sleeping during the ride home from their grandmother's house in San Francisco during a trip over the Memorial Day weekend.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
July 1, 1992
A man was killed accidentally when his neighbor committed suicide, county coroner's officials said Tuesday. Francisco Gutierrez, 33, was asleep in his Alcazar Drive apartment when carbon monoxide fumes from the garage below suffocated him, Deputy Coroner William King said. Police found Gutierrez's neighbor dead behind the wheel of a Porsche with the motor running inside the locked garage Saturday at about 11 a.m. A friend found Gutierrez dead in his apartment the next day.
REAL ESTATE
September 2, 1990 | Joel Rapp
Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas that, according to a EPA study, contributes to 10,000 non-fatal poisonings and 1,500 fatal poisonings each year. Carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning can occur from fumes escaping into the living space of a home from a faulty or poorly vented water heater or stove, furnace, space heater, charcoal grill, gasoline engine or other fuel-burning appliance.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
October 10, 1995 | TERENCE MONMANEY, TIMES MEDICAL WRITER
A nationwide study has linked carbon monoxide to a rise of nearly 40% in cases of congestive heart failure among elderly Los Angeles County residents on days when the air pollutant reached peak levels. Los Angeles topped the seven U.S. urban areas analyzed by the researchers, who said that 6,515 cases of congestive heart failure among the elderly in Los Angeles County from 1986 through 1989 were the result of carbon monoxide exposure. That toll amounted 11.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
March 20, 2002 | MANUEL GAMIZ JR., TIMES STAFF WRITER
A 30-year-old Pico Rivera man pleaded innocent Tuesday to killing five of his six children by lighting a charcoal grill inside his house last month as they slept. Adair Javier Garcia will return to Whittier Superior Court on April 15 for a preliminary hearing where prosecutors may announce that they will seek the death penalty. Garcia is eligible for the death penalty because of three special circumstances: lying in wait, murder by administration of poison and multiple murder.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|