Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsCease Fires
IN THE NEWS

Cease Fires

NEWS
February 4, 1999 | From Times Wire Reports
Warring sides in Guinea-Bissau signed a cease-fire agreement after four days of battles in Bissau, the capital, a Portuguese news agency reported. Details of the deal signed by President Joao Bernardo Vieira and rebel leader Ansumane Mane were not immediately known. Diplomatic sources in the region said they expected West African peacekeepers, including about 300 troops from Benin and Niger waiting on a French navy ship off Bissau, to go in immediately.
Advertisement
NEWS
June 5, 1996 | From Times Wire Reports
Russian negotiators met separatist leaders of Chechnya for talks to halt fighting in the rebel Caucasus region, where a 3-day-old cease-fire is already under pressure. The discussions, held in North Ossetia, a region bordering breakaway Chechnya, are designed to back up a truce agreed to in Moscow last week after Russian President Boris N. Yeltsin met Chechen rebel leader Zelimkhan A. Yanderbiyev.
NEWS
October 28, 1992 | Associated Press
Muslim and Croatian leaders agreed Tuesday to a cease-fire in a town near Sarajevo, but their anti-Serb coalition in the Bosnian war remained shaky. Croatian militiamen overran the Muslim-held town of Prozor after four days of fighting, forcing its 3,000 inhabitants to flee, according to the commander of Muslim-led Bosnian government forces there. But Croatian officials denied taking the town. Both sides met Tuesday and agreed to pull their fighters from the town, sources said.
NEWS
September 23, 1991 | CHARLES T. POWERS, TIMES STAFF WRITER
A new cease-fire went into effect between the Yugoslav federal army and Croatian national guard units Sunday, three days after the army launched a powerful drive to regain control of its encircled installations in the breakaway republic. The cease-fire was announced simultaneously by federal Defense Minister Veljko Kadijevic and Croatian President Franjo Tudjman. Although there were numerous reported violations of the truce after it went into effect at 3 p.m.
NEWS
July 16, 1998 | From Times Wire Reports
Sudanese rebels declared a three-month cease-fire to allow food shipments to reach hundreds of thousands of hungry people. The government agreed to a one-month truce. The Sudan People's Liberation Army said its cease-fire applies Bahr el Ghazal province in the southwest. The rebels have been fighting the government in Khartoum since 1983 for autonomy for the mainly black and non-Muslim south from the Arab and Muslim north. An estimated 1.
WORLD
October 17, 2006 | From Times Wire Reports
The United Nations accused Eritrea of moving 1,500 troops and 14 tanks into a buffer zone established after a 2 1/2 -year border war with Ethiopia in "a major breach" of a cease-fire agreement reached in 2000. Eritrean troops also took over a U.N. checkpoint and forced a platoon of Jordanian peacekeepers to leave, U.N. officials said. Secretary-General Kofi Annan urged the Eritrean government to withdraw the troops immediately, U.N. spokesman Stephane Dujarric said.
NEWS
January 19, 1999 | From Reuters
Leaders of African countries involved in the civil war in Congo have agreed to sign a cease-fire to end five months of fighting, Namibian President Sam Nujoma said Monday. But rebels battling Congolese President Laurent Kabila's army were skeptical about a breakthrough. Neither Kabila nor the rebels were invited to the Windhoek meeting, officials said.
NEWS
October 2, 1997 | Associated Press
A cease-fire by one of Algeria's main armed Islamic groups took effect Wednesday, but hospital officials said three people died in a shooting blamed on Muslim militants. The unilateral cease-fire appeared to have been observed in the major areas of the country where the Islamic Salvation Army has been battling the government.
NEWS
June 28, 1999 | From Times Staff and Wire Reports
Talks on ending 11 months of war in neighboring Congo received fresh impetus when military officials completed a draft cease-fire document in Lusaka, the Zambian capital. Officials said regional ministers would discuss the document today. It calls on the warring parties to "observe a troop standstill" and includes the deployment of peacekeepers. If approved, it would pave the way for a planned peace summit of African heads of state in Lusaka.
WORLD
June 17, 2007 | From Times Wire Reports
The Yemeni government and Shiite Muslim rebels have reached a cease-fire in a three-year fight that has claimed 4,000 lives this year, representatives of both sides said. The deal, mediated by Qatar, requires rebels to surrender their heavy weapons to the government, a Yemeni security official said. The government agreed to release rebel prisoners, pay for the reconstruction of villages ravaged by the fighting and help displaced people return home.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|