March 26, 2001 |
The two students accused of opening fire on their high schools in suburban San Diego will be arraigned in the same court this afternoon. Charles Andrew Williams, 15, and Jason Hoffman, 18, coincidentally had their appearances in El Cajon Superior Court scheduled for 1:30 p.m., a jail clerk said Sunday. Williams is accused of killing two classmates and wounding 13 other people in a March 5 rampage at Santana High School in Santee. He has not entered a plea.
March 23, 2001 |
Charles Andrew Williams, accused of killing two students and wounding 13 people in the town of Santee, will make his second court appearance this month on Monday, but the diminutive alleged gunman will still not enter a plea.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
March 9, 2001
Re "Behind the Tragedy, the Despair of an Outcast," March 7: Patt Morrison deserves a thunderous ovation for her powerful and insightful column on the tragedy of Charles Andrew Williams of Santana High School. If we truly want to make our schools safer, both schools and families must inculcate in students basic respect for all human beings instead of ridiculing and degrading them, as was done to Andy. ROBERT H. FERNANDEZ Granada Hills The triggers of violence are still elusive (March 7)
March 6, 2001 |
For the last month, Andy Williams, the pale, slight Santana High School freshman, repeatedly told friends he was going to take one of his father's guns to school and shoot people. Friends all said they thought he was joking. The threats were frequently made to Williams' friends who hung out at the Woodglen Vista Skate Park. "You guys just watch, I'll do it," he said. "Everybody would just laugh and tell him to shut up," said Dustin Hopkins, a friend. "Then Andy said, 'OK, I'll show you one day.
March 17, 2001 |
The father of Charles Andrew Williams said Friday that he is still looking for answers to explain the March 5 campus shooting that traumatized the town of Santee. Known to family and friends as Andy, the 15-year-old boy is accused of killing Randy Gordon, 17, and Bryan Zuckor, 14, and wounding 13 other students and staff members at Santana High School in a shooting that focused international attention on the San Diego suburb.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
April 28, 2001 |
Charles Andrew Williams, 15, accused of a shooting rampage at Santana High School in Santee that left two dead and 13 wounded, should be tried as an adult, a judge ruled Friday. Superior Court Judge Herbert Exarhos rejected claims by Williams' attorneys that Proposition 21, the ballot measure allowing prosecutors to send juveniles accused of serious crimes directly to Superior Court, is unconstitutional. Deputy Public Defender Randy Mize said Exarhos' ruling will be appealed.