Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsCharles Ng
IN THE NEWS

Charles Ng

NEWS
July 1, 1999 | DANIEL YI, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Charles Ng, convicted of murdering six men, three women and two infant boys in a gruesome killing spree in Northern California 14 years ago, was sentenced to death Wednesday. "It will never bring us closure, but it will bring justice," the tearful mother of one of Ng's victims told the judge. "May God forgive me, but I want Charles Ng dead." The sentencing marks the end of one of the longest and most expensive murder prosecutions in state history. It has cost about $13 million so far.
Advertisement
NEWS
February 26, 1999 | MIKE DOWNEY
I began to hear from some of the families victimized by the monster Charles Ng--so many families, so many--late in his murder trial, in a case that spanned 14 years. We corresponded while they waited. Justice could no longer be swift, but justice could still occur. If only the jury did its duty. If only there were no last-second surprises, no chance of Ng talking his way out of this, or getting off on a technicality. I couldn't imagine what these families had been through. Twelve deaths.
NEWS
November 30, 1988 | From Times Wire Services
Accused mass murderer Charles Ng smirked Tuesday as a Canadian judge ruled there was enough evidence to extradite the ex-Marine to California, where he could face the death penalty. However, a key issue in the case--whether Ng can be extradited under the threat of a possible death sentence--was not addressed in the ruling. It is expected to be considered in a possible future appeal to Canada's minister of justice.
NEWS
May 5, 1999 | From Reuters
Charles Ng, facing the death penalty for 11 murders, may have contacted one of the jurors weighing his fate to tell her she was "very nice," court transcripts released Tuesday showed. But the judge in the case decided he could not establish that Ng, 38, was the man named "Charles" who called the shaken juror at home last week, and let the case proceed. The nine-woman, three-man jury recommended Monday that the former U.S.
NEWS
April 22, 1999 | From Associated Press
The mother of serial killer Charles Ng sobbed on the witness stand Wednesday as she blamed herself for failing to stop her husband from beating him as a child. Oiping Ng told jurors that she has lived in anguish since her son was arrested and has had to endure news reports in Hong Kong describing her child as a "devil." "Of course I love him very much," she testified through a Cantonese interpreter. "Ever since he was in jail I never had a good day.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
September 13, 1997 | GREG HERNANDEZ
Charles Ng, whose costly mass-murder trial has been delayed for more than 10 years, is fighting to have an additional defense attorney. Ng wants San Francisco County Deputy Public Defender Michael Burt, who is defending him on a murder charge in Northern California, to join his defense team here. "I've been representing him since 1985 so I bring to the team some background on the case," Burt said outside court.
NEWS
December 17, 1985 | United Press International
A judge today convicted Charles Ng, a former U.S. Marine suspected in as many as 25 sex-torture slayings in Northern California, of firearms, robbery and assault charges stemming from his arrest in Canada in July. Ng was acquitted of the attempted murder of a department store security guard, but Judge Allan Sulatycky found him guilty of armed robbery, aggravated assault and unlawful use of a firearm during his arrest July 6 in a Hudson's Bay department store in Calgary.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
August 29, 1998 | SCOTT MARTELLE
Orange County Superior Court Judge John J. Ryan Friday delayed the start of the Charles Ng murder trial by two weeks to allow more time to convene a jury pool, a court official said. The oft-delayed trial was to have started Sept. 1, but Ryan pushed it back to Sept. 14. He also rejected a request by Ng to delay the trial six months.
NEWS
May 16, 1998
A former Marine charged with torturing and killing 12 people in Northern California may act as his own attorney at his trial, an Orange County judge ruled Friday. Superior Court Judge John J. Ryan, reversing a decision he made less than a month ago, said he now believes that Charles Ng sincerely wants to represent himself and is not just trying to delay the trial, which could result in a death sentence.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|