Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsChild Abuse Los Angeles County
IN THE NEWS

Child Abuse Los Angeles County

CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
February 27, 1992 | HECTOR TOBAR, TIMES STAFF WRITER
A girl who at the age of 3 was deliberately burned by her grandmother with scalding water has been awarded $2.2 million by a jury in a lawsuit against Los Angeles County and employees of the Department of Children's Services. The Los Angeles Superior Court suit charged that county social workers failed to adequately monitor the girl after she was placed in the care of Dorothy Bullock in May, 1987. Bullock, 60, has been diagnosed with mental illness, said R.
Advertisement
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
August 25, 1999
A North Hills couple was charged with child abuse and false imprisonment Tuesday after authorities said they beat the wife's 3-year-old son and locked him in a bathroom in 100-degree heat. Octavio Alberto Huicho, 23, and his wife, Elva Stella Huicho, 27, pleaded not guilty to five felony counts in connection with the abuse allegations, prosecutors said. If convicted, Octavio and Elva Huicho could each face a maximum of 24 years in state prison. Bail for the Huichos has been set at $200,000 each.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
November 17, 1999
A municipal judge ruled Tuesday that a 41-year-old Colton woman must stand trial on felony charges for allegedly torturing her slightly mentally retarded daughter and never allowing her to attend school--crimes that could lead to a life sentence. The ruling concluded a preliminary hearing for Maria Carmen Salcedo and came after her daughter, 19-year-old Melissa, gave emotional testimony describing how she was made a virtual family slave.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
February 18, 1998 | SONIA NAZARIO and MICHAEL KRIKORIAN, SPECIAL TO THE TIMES
Aiming to stem the huge number of children who grow up with drug- or alcohol-abusing parents, the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors is considering implementing a countywide program that would work to change potentially abusive parents before problems start. Modeled after a highly successful program launched nearly 20 years ago in Elmira, N.Y.--but only now getting attention nationwide--the approach would target all young women who are pregnant for the first time and appear to be high risk.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
January 11, 1997 | MARTHA L. WILLMAN
Less than a year after a prior conviction for abuse, a Van Nuys man has been sentenced to five months in jail, this time for hurling a 12-year-old boy against a closet wall, Los Angeles City Atty. Jim Hahn announced Friday. Steve John Stan, 25, was ordered to immediately begin serving the sentence after he pleaded no contest Thursday to a charge of child abuse in the Dec. 13 attack on the son of a girlfriend.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
January 31, 1996 | MARK GLADSTONE, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Prompted by the beating death of Lance Helms, the state auditor Tuesday agreed to launch an in-depth performance audit of Los Angeles County juvenile courts and other agencies that oversaw the care of the 2-year-old North Hollywood boy. California State Auditor Kurt R. Sjoberg said he plans to look at a representative sample of dependency court cases and not just the way county officials handled the Helms matter. The inquiry is expected to begin in about a month and be finished this summer.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
September 7, 1996 | DADE HAYES
A Panorama City man was sentenced to nearly two years in prison after pleading no contest for the second time in three months to physically abusing his girlfriend's 12-year-old son, Los Angeles City Atty. Jim Hahn said Friday. Joe Clyde Wells, 41, drew the 695-day sentence Thursday from Van Nuys Municipal Judge Alan Ellis. In June, he had been sentenced to 30 days in jail for slapping and verbally abusing the boy.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
January 11, 1994
A high-tech program unveiled Monday will allow suspected victims of child abuse in the Antelope Valley to be examined by medical experts working in Los Angeles, saving the children a time-consuming, often unsettling 150-mile round trip. In a Lancaster hospital room decorated with Disney characters, children will be examined with a magnification device that can send video images over a telephone line to Los Angeles County-USC Medical Center.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
August 2, 1997
Should Gabriela Hernandez face the same murder charge as husband Rogelio Hernandez in the abuse death of their 2-year-old daughter? Attorneys argued the question Friday, and a judge said he would weigh their statements before deciding whether to drop murder charges against Gabriela Hernandez. The Oxnard mother has said in interviews that she was a battered woman unable to stop her husband from regularly beating their daughter, Joselin.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
September 13, 1997 | ANDREW BLANKSTEIN, TIMES STAFF WRITER
A judge Friday ordered a woman freed who is serving 10 years in prison for beating a 2-year-old boy to death--a headline-grabbing slaying that led to stricter statewide child abuse laws--declaring that a police reinvestigation of the evidence established a "compelling" case that she may be innocent.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|