YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsChild Sexual Abuse

Child Sexual Abuse

March 24, 1992 | GLORIA ALLRED, Gloria Allred, an attorney in Los Angeles, has represented victims of child-sexual abuse
Time and secrecy are both on the side of the sexual molester of children, and nowhere is this more true than in California. The state's current statute of limitations requires victims of child sexual abuse to bring criminal charges against their abusers within one to six years of the the abuse, depending upon the crime committed. After this time, the child molester can't be criminally prosecuted, no matter how cruel or severe or damaging the attacks.
June 18, 1993 | From Associated Press
The Roman Catholic Church should create a national task force on clergy sex abuse of children and avoid reassigning abusive priests to ministries with minors, a church-sponsored panel said Thursday. "We are concerned that the hierarchy's authority and credibility in the United States is eroding because of a perceived inability to deal more effectively with the problem of child sexual abuse. This difficulty is a source of scandal for the faithful," the committee said.
January 6, 1985
The City Council last week delayed appropriating $22,000 for the second phase of the city's child sexual abuse prevention program until questions about the program's operation are resolved. Councilman Gil Archuletta said he was concerned about how program funds were being spent and asked for the coordinator, Etty Garber, to submit a detailed report at the council's Feb. 5 meeting. The council, however, allocated $5,000 to continue the program until that review.
February 8, 1996 | KATE FOLMAR
Attempting to steer tougher laws against child molestation through the state Legislature, a fledgling organization called Kids Safe will hold its first legislative conference about child sexual abuse issues today at the Sheraton Gateway Hotel. Announcing the conference Wednesday were about a dozen Granada Hills residents and children's advocates, including Nathan Winters, now 20, who was molested at age 12 by Victor Salva.
October 11, 1987 | JANE HULSE, Times Staff Writer
A 12-year-old boy sat in a San Fernando courtroom a month ago as his "Big Brother," an accountant who volunteered to be his special friend, pleaded guilty to molesting him and four other boys. In a Van Nuys courtroom two weeks ago, another Big Brother, a noted UCLA psychology professor, pleaded no contest to similar charges. And a third Big Brother faces a preliminary hearing this week in San Fernando on allegations that he had sexual contact with his teen-age charge.
July 24, 2003 | Elizabeth Mehren, Times Staff Writer
The number of sexual abuse victims in the Boston Archdiocese over the last six decades "likely exceeds 1,000" and involves more than 250 clergy and other church workers, the attorney general of Massachusetts concluded in a scathing report issued Wednesday. Unveiling a 76-page document based on church records, state Atty. Gen. Tom Reilly described a "massive, inexcusable failure of leadership in the Archdiocese of Boston," where the worldwide clerical abuse scandal began in January 2002.
August 26, 1985 | LOIS TIMNICK, Times Staff Writer
Most Americans believe that children can reliably describe sexual abuse that occurred years before, and those who are aware of the McMartin Pre-School molestation case believe that at least some of the child witnesses are telling the truth, a nationwide Los Angeles Times poll has found.
January 31, 1988 | Lois Timnick, Timnick, a Times staff writer since 1977, covers social issues and is assigned to the McMartin case
Abuse is a leading cause of death among children in the United States. In the form of molestation, it is seldom fatal and thus often not taken as seriously as the tiny crushed skulls and starved bodies of physical abuse and neglect. But psychological and physical injuries to young victims of sexual abuse are long-lasting, frequently stunting their growth into emotionally sound adults and begetting another generation of molesters.
January 25, 2006 | Jean Guccione, Times Staff Writer
A retired priest accused of molesting an Eagle Rock youth pleaded no contest Tuesday to a misdemeanor charge of contributing to the delinquency of a minor. Father Stephen Hernandez, 72, tried to kill himself when he learned four years ago that he was being investigated for alleged child sexual abuse. He was not in court when Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Richard E. Rico sentenced him to three years' probation and ordered him to stay away from children.
Los Angeles Times Articles