November 29, 2013 |
KABUL, Afghanistan - The American commander of coalition forces in Afghanistan telephoned Afghan President Hamid Karzai to apologize for an airstrike that killed at least one Afghan civilian and badly wounded two others, a coalition official said Friday. Marine Gen. Joseph F. Dunford Jr. "expressed deep regret" for the civilian casualties, the official said, and promised a joint investigation with Afghan officials into circumstances surrounding the attack Thursday. Dunford made the call late Thursday after Karzai angrily denounced the United States, saying it has repeatedly shown disregard for the lives of Afghan civilians.
November 28, 2013 |
KABUL, Afghanistan -- Afghan President Hamid Karzai erupted in anger at the United States on Thursday over what he said was a drone strike in southern Afghanistan that killed a child and wounded two women. Karzai, already locked in a bitter dispute with the U.S. over American ground raids on Afghan homes, repeated that he will not sign a proposed security agreement between the two nations unless all such raids are ended immediately. In a statement on his presidential website late Thursday night, he seemed to add airstrikes to that demand.
November 19, 2013 |
KABUL, Afghanistan - In a telephone conversation Tuesday, Secretary of State John F. Kerry and Afghan President Hamid Karzai agreed that Kerry would request a letter from President Obama acknowledging the suffering of Afghan civilians caused by U.S. military raids on Afghan homes in recent years, according to Karzai's spokesman. Kerry agreed to take the proposal to Obama as a way to break an impasse that is holding up the signing of a bilateral security agreement that would define the U.S.-Afghan partnership after international combat forces leave Afghanistan at the end of 2014, the spokesman said.
September 25, 2013 |
President Uhuru Kenyatta declared an end to the Nairobi shopping mall siege after a final day of shooting and explosions Tuesday, but many key questions about the terrorist attack remained unanswered. In a somber speech to the nation, Kenya's leader spelled out the toll -- at least 72 people dead, including six soldiers and five of the attackers. But he offered no details on what happened in the final confrontation between security forces and attackers, in which repeated explosions toppled several floors of the mall and sent a thick plume of smoke into the air. Nor did he explain what happened to hostages reportedly held by members of the Al Qaeda-linked Somali militant group the Shabab, which claimed responsibility for the attack.
July 31, 2013 |
KABUL, Afghanistan -- The number of civilians killed and wounded in Afghanistan grew by almost 25% in the first half of this year as Afghan forces assumed more responsibility for the nation's security, according to a U.N. report released Wednesday. The increase reversed a decline last year that many hoped spelled improved conditions for the most vulnerable victims of the nearly 12-year-old war. Analysts say stepped-up militant attacks against the Afghan government have resulted in more civilians getting caught in the crossfire or being targeted for their perceived government support.
June 3, 2013 |
KABUL, Afghanistan - Two bomb blasts killed at least 19 people, including nine schoolchildren, in eastern Afghanistan on Monday, as Afghan Taliban militants continued a wave of violence as part of their spring offensive. In one attack, a suicide bomber on a motorcycle detonated his explosives in a busy market in eastern Paktia province along the Pakistani border, killing nine schoolchildren and an Afghan police officer, said Paktia police chief Zalmai Oryakhail. Two U.S.-led coalition soldiers were among those killed in the attack, NATO forces said.