CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
February 6, 1996 |
Three Oxnard men were arrested Monday on suspicion of robbing an Oxnard cleaners. Charles Hendrick, 46, Richard Coronado 20, and Jose Gutierrez, 22, were taken into custody after Oxnard Police Cmdr. Jeffrey Young stopped the suspects' vehicle in the 700 block of Mountain View Avenue and pursued them in a brief foot chase. The 3 p.m. armed robbery took place at Cleaners at The Rose at 2051 N. Rose Ave.
November 7, 2002
Re "AQMD Puts Off Ban on Solvent," Nov. 2: There's a chemical that could harm me every time I go into a dry cleaner. There are alternative ways to clean clothes that are safe for workers and consumers and profitable for cleaners. And the South Coast Air Quality Management District can't decide whether to phase the poison out ... 17 years from now? With this kind of leadership, no wonder L.A.'s air is still the dirtiest in the nation. I hope the clean-air board shows some courage and gets rid of perchloroethylene.
April 28, 2008 |
The growing popularity of cleaning products that are -- or claim to be -- Earth-friendly is part of a larger trend, a wave of environmentalism that's been sweeping the country since Al Gore's 2006 documentary, "An Inconvenient Truth," focused popular attention on the threat of global climate change. Just a few short years ago, so-called Earth-friendly items were largely the domain of specialty and health food stores. Today, even major retailers such as Wal-Mart, Home Depot and Target are selling organic towels and linens, reusable shopping bags, recycled garden hoses, solar yard lights, all-natural cosmetics and, of course, green household cleaners.
July 19, 2009 |
About 580,000 H2O Mop Steam Cleaners are being recalled after complaints of the power cord on the cleaners unexpectedly wearing down and exposing wiring, the Consumer Product Safety Commission said. The exposed wiring poses a shock and burn hazard to anyone using the H2O cleaners, the agency said. Thane International Inc., based in La Quinta, has received 10 reports of consumers getting shocked while using the cleaners as well as eight reports of burns, the commission said. The recalled H2O mops are white with a purple water tank with the "H20" and "M" logos printed on the top of the appliance's cleaning head.
May 8, 1988
Regarding Iris Schneider's "What's in a Name and an 8x10 Glossy?" (May 1), I always thought that those autographed 8x10 glossies adorning restaurants and dry cleaners all over Los Angeles were available from restaurant and dry cleaner supplies . . . just another thing you ordered from some wholesaler when you set up business. WAYNE KENNAN Studio City
August 2, 2010
Household-cleaning products may be injuring fewer kids than they used to ... but not few enough. That's the upshot of an analysis published Monday in the journal Pediatrics. From 1990 through 2006, more than 267,000 children age 5 or under were treated in U.S. emergency rooms for injuries connected to such products. There were 22,141 such injuries in 1990, researchers found, and 11,964 in 2006. Perhaps the American Academy of Pediatrics' poison-prevention advice is getting through.