July 14, 2008 |
Pope Benedict XVI has raised expectations that he will apologize to victims of clergy sexual abuse while he is in Australia this week. The 81-year-old pontiff told reporters during a flight to Australia for a nine-day visit starting Sunday that he would do everything possible to achieve "healing and reconciliation with the victims."
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
July 31, 2013 |
An Orange County man was convicted and sentenced Wednesday to six years in prison after he collected Social Security and pension benefits meant for his father, whose body authorities found buried in the yard of a Santa Ana home. Larry Thomas Dominguez, 66, pleaded guilty to two felony counts of grand theft by embezzlement, one felony count of forgery, two felony counts of identity theft, and two felony counts of forging an access cardholder's signature, according to a statement from the Orange County district attorney's office.
August 11, 2003 |
Alleged victims of clergy sexual abuse on Sunday challenged the Archdiocese of Boston to improve the $55-million offer it extended to 542 abuse victims last week, calling it inadequate in helping to mend shattered lives. At a news conference outside the archdiocese's chancery grounds, members of several victims' groups said the settlement must not fall short, because it will be a model for other large-scale abuse cases around the nation.
April 6, 2004 |
The Boston Archdiocese said it had settled lawsuits filed by four people who claimed they were sexually abused by the Rev. Paul R. Shanley, a key figure in the clergy sex abuse scandal in the Roman Catholic church. Financial terms of the agreement were not disclosed. However, an attorney for the plaintiffs said each would get more than the maximum of $300,000 that 550 other alleged victims were set to receive in the $85-million settlement reached in September.
November 1, 2004 |
If attorneys for the Roman Catholic Diocese of Spokane do not reach a settlement with dozens of alleged victims of clergy sex abuse, the diocese may be forced to declare bankruptcy, Bishop William Skylstad said. Skylstad issued the warning in a letter sent to parishioners in preparation for settlement talks this week with 28 alleged victims of a former priest who has admitted sexually abusing boys.
July 25, 2003 |
Frustrated by a lack of indictments against church leaders in the clergy sex abuse scandal, victims' groups pledged to work with the state's attorney general to toughen child abuse laws and establish an independent board to review abuse allegations against priests. Seven alleged victims and their advocates met with Atty. Gen. Tom Reilly, one day after his office issued a report detailing widespread sexual abuse by priests in the Boston Archdiocese over the last six decades.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
July 26, 2007 |
A prosecutor said Wednesday that he planned to seek testimony from several officials in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Los Angeles on how they handled sexual abuse allegations against a former priest charged this week with molesting a Pacoima boy. The former priest, George Miller, 69, appeared briefly in court Wednesday, but his arraignment was postponed so that he could get a lawyer.
November 4, 2002 |
Cardinal Bernard Law acknowledged Sunday that some of his decisions regarding priests were wrong, and he said he has a "far deeper awareness of this terrible evil" of clergy sexual abuse than he did 10 months ago, when the scandal broke. Abuse victims, with whom Law recently met, urged him to speak out more publicly and frequently. He agreed, saying at Mass at the Cathedral of the Holy Cross that he was trying to "honor the spirit" of that meeting.
December 19, 2002 |
Bishop Richard G. Lennon, chosen by Pope John Paul II to temporarily replace Cardinal Bernard Law as leader of the Archdiocese of Boston, on Wednesday called for a truce in clergy sexual abuse litigation so that talks can proceed toward a settlement with victims.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
May 10, 2003 |
A retired priest from Wisconsin was arrested Friday and charged in San Diego with allegedly molesting a 15-year-old altar boy more than 20 years ago. Prosecutors say that Franklyn Becker, 72, was a visiting priest at St. Brigid's Church in the Pacific Beach area of San Diego in 1977 when he allegedly molested the boy. Becker served at St. Brigid's Church from June 1977 to January 1979, according to Chancellor Rodrigo Valdivia of the Roman Catholic Diocese of San Diego.