Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsCoca Cola
IN THE NEWS

Coca Cola

BUSINESS
March 15, 2011 | By Gregory Karp
It's an environmental as well as a marketing achievement: using 100% agricultural waste to make a top-quality plastic bottle that can then be placed back in the existing recycling system. "It's closing the loop," said Allen Hershkowitz, a senior scientist with the Natural Resources Defense Council. "It's the beginning of the end for petroleum-based plastic bottles. " PepsiCo announced Tuesday that it had "cracked the code," inventing what it calls the world's first plastic bottle made entirely from plant-based, fully renewable resources.
Advertisement
OPINION
December 14, 2010
A decade or so ago, corporate marketing at public schools reached a peak. Slick lunch menus featured full-color illustrations of M&Ms ? delivering messages about good nutrition ? and schools held Coca-Cola rallies. Students worked on donated computers, the screens rimmed by advertising. School fliers urged parents to "Pick the products that earn cash" for their schools by buying certain cereals. The past 10 years have produced a backlash to such school-based marketing, a change we applaud.
OPINION
December 9, 2010 | Meghan Daum
Anyone who's seen "Idiocracy," the 2006 cult comedy set 500 years in the future when even announcements from the State Department are "brought to you by Carl's Jr.," won't be surprised by a recent civic trend. In cities all over the country, public spaces ? from bridges to state parks to school auditoriums ? are being offered up and sold as advertising space. A subway stop in Brooklyn is now "sponsored" by Barclays PLC, which will display its name on the platform. In Philadelphia, $3 million was enough to turn the Pattison Avenue train terminus into AT&T Station.
BUSINESS
October 31, 2010 | By Andrew Leckey
Question: How will changes at Coca-Cola Co. affect my stock? Answer: Coca-Cola has been ranked the most valuable brand worldwide for the last 11 years by Interbrand, the global branding firm. The world's largest maker of soft drinks, the company sells more than 3,300 products in more than 200 countries. Almost three-fourths of its revenue is generated outside the U.S. For example, the company recently predicted its sales in Peru would hit $1 billion within five years.
BUSINESS
May 31, 2010 | By Jacqueline Charles
A mango trapper muscles his way high up the tree, then stops on a branch. Spotting a hanging fruit, he pushes his homemade picking pole forward, trapping it. He then drops the kidney-shaped Madame Francis mango to a teenage boy who holds out a rice sack to break its fall. It's a homespun harvesting technique that helps feed about half a million Haitian peasants, but one that is also keeping the $10-million- to $12-million-a-year industry from reaching its full potential. "We would like another way to pick the mangoes," said Ernst Excellent, 22, one of hundreds of fournisseurs , or middlemen, who wander Haiti's rugged terrain in pursuit of mangoes, most of which end up in U.S. supermarkets.
BUSINESS
April 22, 2010 | By Dawn C. Chmielewski and Claudia Eller, Los Angeles Times
Walt Disney Studios chief Rich Ross said he intended to look beyond the usual suspects to find a new head of marketing for the Burbank movie studio. He was good to his word. On Wednesday, Disney confirmed that it had hired M.T. Carney, a fast-rising New York-based brand strategist who has no background in movie marketing but lots of new-media credentials, to lead the studio's worldwide marketing efforts. Carney, a co-founder of communications planning firm Naked Communications, helped create global strategies for some of the world's biggest brands, among them Coca-Cola, Johnson & Johnson, Google, Microsoft and Nokia.
BUSINESS
February 10, 2010
Coca-Cola Co. said Tuesday that its fourth-quarter profit rose 55% as sales grew in China and India. Net income increased to $1.54 billion, or 66 cents a share, from $995 million, or 43 cents, a year earlier, the Atlanta company said. Earnings per share matched analyst estimates compiled by Bloomberg. Revenue increased 5.4% to $7.51 billion, the company said. Sales by case volume grew 29% in China and 20% in India, helping boost global volume 5% and offsetting declines in North America.
OPINION
November 20, 2009 | By Michael Rosenberg
I was surprised to read what looks to me like a commentary piece masquerading as a news article ("It's time fruit juice loses its wholesome image, some experts say," Nov. 8) in a newspaper known for its unbiased reporting on health and nutrition. There are independent nutrition experts who see the juice glass as half full, but they were not quoted in this article. Nor was there any mention of the growing body of research, much of it published in respected medical and scientific journals, indicating the health benefits of drinking juice.
SPORTS
May 26, 2009 | Tania Ganguli
Buzzie Reutimann clutched a lug nut in his right hand, tightly so it didn't fall out. The rain over Lowe's Motor Speedway had started right when he picked it up. Under the caution that rain caused, the cars running first through 13th pitted. That left Buzzie's son, David, in the lead. Then NASCAR red-flagged the race. The cars sat in running order on pit road, covered in plastic, as the rain thickened and retreated intermittently.
SPORTS
May 25, 2009 | Tania Ganguli
Racing's biggest day went from three marquee races to two on Sunday. While Formula One's Monaco Grand Prix and the Indy Racing League's Indianapolis 500 started and finished uninterrupted, weather disrupted NASCAR's contribution. The 50th Coca-Cola 600 will run on Memorial Day, with the green flag at 9:01 a.m. PDT today. The National Weather Service lists a 40% chance of rain this morning and a 60% chance of rain in the afternoon.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|